• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Year End / Divs etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't need to change the way you invoice nor the way your suppliers invoice you. What you do need to do is make adjustments (journal entries) in your final accounts (and therefore your corporation tax), to make sure that your income and expenses are put into the tax years that they fairly relate to, not the tax years in which the invoices were raised or that the monies were paid.

For example, if you have been doing a contract for say 8 weeks, 7 weeks of which are in 2006/7 and the eight (and invoice date) is in 2007/8, then you continue to invoice as previously, but 7/8ths (or a more accurate figure if you have accurate time/costing records) needs to go in your 2006/7 accounts and be taxed in the 2006/7 tax year.

As to your suppliers, you don't need to know when they did the work - if you are bringing in 7/8th of your income, then makes sense to bring in 7/8th of your suppliers bill (i.e. the "matching" concept) or again, you can be more accurate if you have more accurate/relevant way of matching your costs against revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by WHA
      You don't need to change the way you invoice nor the way your suppliers invoice you. What you do need to do is make adjustments (journal entries) in your final accounts (and therefore your corporation tax), to make sure that your income and expenses are put into the tax years that they fairly relate to, not the tax years in which the invoices were raised or that the monies were paid.

For example, if you have been doing a contract for say 8 weeks, 7 weeks of which are in 2006/7 and the eight (and invoice date) is in 2007/8, then you continue to invoice as previously, but 7/8ths (or a more accurate figure if you have accurate time/costing records) needs to go in your 2006/7 accounts and be taxed in the 2006/7 tax year.

As to your suppliers, you don't need to know when they did the work - if you are bringing in 7/8th of your income, then makes sense to bring in 7/8th of your suppliers bill (i.e. the "matching" concept) or again, you can be more accurate if you have more accurate/relevant way of matching your costs against revenue.
      Thanks for that WHA, most enlightening. Do you know how to treat it in the example I gave where some of the work was done on a speculative basis in a previous year and then sold to a client (with some customisation) in a subsequent year? Seems to me I could be forever allocating my profits across several tax years as I reuse work I have developed previously.

Comment

Originally posted by ittony
        Thanks for that WHA, most enlightening. Do you know how to treat it in the example I gave where some of the work was done on a speculative basis in a previous year and then sold to a client (with some customisation) in a subsequent year? Seems to me I could be forever allocating my profits across several tax years as I reuse work I have developed previously.
        You don't have to be forever re-allocating income. At each year end, you have to use your judgement to make whatever provisions you feel are reasonable given the circumstances at that time. As for speculative work, you only need to bring it in as work in progress if there is a degree of certainty that it will eventually be billed and paid for - if there is any doubt, you are OK to leave it out.

Comment

Working...
        X