• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Investigation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The HRMC guide is so vague and if I was completely honest I would fall into the grey area so I am bound to go with the most tax efficient solution, they say if you don't know where you fall to contact your local IR enquiry centre and let them decide... hmm I can't see them ever deeming someone outside if it was as simple as that and its not as if you can ignore their advice after you have just given them your details.

They should have a point’s based system to make it easier and stop making people feel like criminals.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1
      In the first instance the company will be liable.

Should that become insolvent, HMRC (& the insolvency service) will come after you personally.

This never used to be the case for low value debts, but it is now. Also, if your company registered address is your home address this can complicate things vastly....................
      My work collegue was prosecuted for non payment of tax arrears when he shut his company down and went permie but didn't pay his final tax bills. He won his case in court as they ruled that the company was no longer in business.

Comment

Just thinking, say you were subject to an investigation would you get the chance to say "it's a afair cop" and pay whatever was owed before it went any further or is it more complicated than that?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
          Just thinking, say you were subject to an investigation would you get the chance to say "it's a afair cop" and pay whatever was owed before it went any further or is it more complicated than that?
          Good point. What would concern me is that the IR are phoning up all previous contracts saying I am been investigated. I know its hardly a murder ccharge but it could harm the reputation as they are effectively implying you are avoiding tax.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy
            Good point. What would concern me is that the IR are phoning up all previous contracts saying I am been investigated. I know its hardly a murder ccharge but it could harm the reputation as they are effectively implying you are avoiding tax.
            This happened to me - I lost all hope of going back to two clients because of it - and having to exert pressure to get the information in my defence. The problem is one of proof - how do you prove that you have lost business? It's intangible as you never had it in the first place. No consideration was given to any commercial concerns that my company may have had at all. It made me very bitter towards the Revenue - OK, you can investigate me for tax, but you have no right to destroy my business and reputation - especially as I work in an area where I used to get most of my work through word of mouth recommendation. B*stards all of them <rant over>.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
            X