• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Employed Travel Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Employed Travel Tax

Hi
    Hope Someone Can Help I Am Being Investigated By The Tax Office For Travel Expences Claimed .
    I Have Given Evidence Of Place Of Work Travelled Everyday Between The Said Tax Year And The Tax Inspector Accepts This .however Because I Was On The Same Site All Year ,it Is Being Classed As A Permanent Place Of Work There For I May Not Claim Tax Relief .
    The Tax Office Are Quoting A Certain Case Hoghton V Young But I Cannot Find Anything To Help My Case
    Please Help If Poss

Do you run your own Ltd? Because the only way I see that you can possibly claim travel expenses for that length of time is if you have another registered office - and even then it could still be argued as a normal place of work after a year.

If you are working through a brolly then I think you'll probably just have to pay up eventually as I can't see how you can claim expenses for being away from your normal place of work when in this instance the client's office is your normal place of work.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

and turn off your Caps Lock

Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

You say self employed in your header - very few of us are self employed so not the right people to ask - laws do vary depending on your employment status.
        Generally, for us, as soon as we know we will be somewhere over 2 years, we cannot claim travel.
        As said before - your accountant should be helping. If you don't have one - get one quickly. There are some good ones that operate on this board - sjd, darren & nixon williams. You need advice - good advice - and you need it fast.

Comment

Originally posted by hollieandsophie
          Hi
          Hope Someone Can Help I Am Being Investigated By The Tax Office For Travel Expences Claimed .
          I Have Given Evidence Of Place Of Work Travelled Everyday Between The Said Tax Year And The Tax Inspector Accepts This .however Because I Was On The Same Site All Year ,it Is Being Classed As A Permanent Place Of Work There For I May Not Claim Tax Relief .
          The Tax Office Are Quoting A Certain Case Hoghton V Young But I Cannot Find Anything To Help My Case
          Please Help If Poss
          It is difficult to give advice without knowing the full facts, but generally you should be able to claim for such travel. Speak to your accountant asap, they should be able to sort this out for you.

Alan

Comment

yes i do have a accountant but he has never heard of such a case were this has happened he is looking into it

Comment

Working...
            X