• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re:24 month rule

It's the company, not the individual.

Comment

Re:24 month rule

the above means that you re-set the 24 month clock when you move employers

Comment

Re: Re:24 month rule

changing employer does not reset the clock.

A change of work location (to somehwere further away than the office across the road) is required.

tim

Comment

Re: Re:24 month rule

Looks like the co-op has made a good point then - possibility of 4 years expense claims !

Comment

Re:Changing Employers

changing employer does not reset the clock.
            Funnily enough that's what I thought until I called the Revenue and they confirmed the point ...

Comment

Re: Re:Changing Employers

then obviously you spoke to a muppet who had not read IR490.

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/...ts/490.pdf

Section 3.14 example "Eloise" states that changing employer but continuing to work at a similar location does not reset the clock.

tim

Comment

Agree with Tim.

There's problems like that when you work in the city and move between companies (literally streets apart). The IR sees it in a strange way.

Comment

Re:Eloise

Tim123 - the example you quote does not involve a change of employer, just a change in client location.

Looks like they weren't a muppet after all...

Comment

"Section 3.14 example "Eloise" states that changing employer but continuing to work at a similar location does not reset the clock"

But did Eloise change employers? She worked for ‘a company she controlled’. She didn’t get a P45 from her company she just moved from contract to contract as contractors do and the geographical area kicked in.

Edit - {Para - taken out}

The Etaion example looks more interesting as they (IR) mention 26 months and not 24-months as we all know it!

Professional advice is require here.

Comment

If you're with a brolly for 23.5 months and then go Ltd with the same client, you could become IR35 fodder, which defeats the point in this thread.

As a Ltd and trying to be a business, changing customers is normal i.e. don't say changing employers.

Having worked in the city, unless the rules have changed, I don't ever recall anybody I know ever getting more than 24 months. They had to stay away from the city for a while (alreay mentioned above) to reset the clock.
                      As always, seek professional advice as rules can change and we maybe all correct depending on the rules you quote for that tax year.

Comment

Working...
                      X