• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying divs to Company Secretary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Objects Clause of most Limited Companies' Memorandums allow them to lend money.

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
      Your not getting it, I personally dont have the money, and yes I can pay myself from the company and give it to her, but how would I pay it back to the company.

Or are you saying I just simply can't use the money in the company?

Basically the problem is paying the company back.
      Actually I am getting it, I'm just suggesting that, as Alan from accountants Nixon Williams already said, it is better if you do not lend money from your company and pay it back.

Possibly you could lend the money but you're making things complicated: just have the company pay you the income (and pay tax on it), and then you personally are able to lend her the money.

Or, if the problem is that the company needs the money back (e.g. to pay VAT) then the situation is that the company does not have the money to lend you. Be careful there.

Maybe then you simply can't afford to lend her the money. Is that the bit that you're not getting? I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but reality often is.

Comment

Well yeah thats the case, but I thought if the company can be paid back then it wouldn't be a problem, it just for a few weeks until the rail company send her a cheque.

Didnt think it would be much of a problem, but never mind suppose I'll have to speak to my accountant and ask him if it's possible.

Thanks for your insights though cheers

Comment

I just thought...

Ill pay dividends to myself give her the money, and she can pay me back when the cheque arrives and ill just compensate the company by not taking dividends
          next month

Sorted

Comment

It should be permissible for the company to loan it's Directors up to £5k via your Directors Loan Account, but it should be paid back before end of tax year because of BIK issues. I assume you're a Director. You need to make sure that the total amount the company owes you is no more than £5k, ie. including any expenses paid out of pocket which you have yet to be reimbursed.

If you're running a limited, you really do need to research and understand the implications of doing so and take advice from professionals (ie. not most of us here!) or you'll end up in the poo! In my opinion.
            It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
              If you're running a limited, you really do need to research and understand the implications of doing so and take advice from professionals (ie. not most of us here!) or you'll end up in the poo! In my opinion.
              Damn right! You can't mess about treating the company as your private tax-free piggy-bank, unless it is very large and/or you have friends in the government.
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Gulp!! I thought I was green when I started - this puts it into perspective!!

Comment

Who said anything about using it like a tax free piggy bank.

You do make me laugh.

My limited company is run fine, I have my tax and vat money sitting there ready to pay the returns, my question was simply could I take money out and put it back?

I don't care about paying tax on it if I have to, was just a simple inquiry, I have an accountant who I would ask about this stuff before I do anything, but he's away at the moment.

Also I've only been doing this for 6 months now, I'm still getting to grips with stuff, sorry If I sound stupid and all that

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
                    My limited company is run fine, I have my tax and vat money sitting there ready to pay the returns, my question was simply could I take money out and put it back?
                    If you take the dividend to lend her some cash then keep it simple, she then owes YOU the money. There is no need to repay the company because it is not owed anything.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Langkawi
                      Thanks folks.

Am glad I asked now, as its obviously more complicated than I thought.

Will proceed with my mate as Comp Sec but will forget the payment & divs idea.

Cheers,
                      Alan
                      Just buy him a few beers. Other than signing the forms once in a while there isnt that much he has to do.

AFAIK placed can be hired to act as Coy Secretary. Also there is an act where the Secretary isnt needed anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X