• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Paying divs to Company Secretary"

Collapse

• dotnetter
    replied
    Originally posted by oraclesmith
    (b) You can declare an interim dividend and PAY yourself what you need. You need to pay out the divi to other shareholders too, if any exist. You then loan her the money as a private arrangement. You don't need to pay back the company in this case, so it's a simpler arrangement.
    Yep thats what I meant sorry.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by dotnetter
    Ok yeah I see your point, I can just use the directors loan account to pay myself and pay her and get paid back.

We live together, she is the company secretary but we arn't married
    No, No, No ! You can't use a directors loan to pay yourself.

There are TWO ways of going about this.

(a) As a Director you can take a loan of up to £5k from the company, which YOU need to repay at some point. You can then loan your girlfriend the money as a private arrangement, but you're still responsible for reimbursing your own company.

(b) You can declare an interim dividend and PAY yourself what you need. You need to pay out the divi to other shareholders too, if any exist. You then loan her the money as a private arrangement. You don't need to pay back the company in this case, so it's a simpler arrangement.

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    Ok yeah I see your point, I can just use the directors loan account to pay myself and pay her and get paid back.

We live together, she is the company secretary but we arn't married

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    If possible could you tell me why?
    Loans from the company can get messy. I do not know what relation she is to you but if you are connected this can be caught by the rules anyway.

I cannot see the need for the loan, if you have the funds declare a dividend and keep it clean, she then owes you the money.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams
    Not what I would advise!

Alan
    If possible could you tell me why?

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by PAG
    My accountant was also agianst paying Co secretary.

Although you're right (in my opinion) it isn't actually about paying them, it's about the company loaning them money.

Like I said, I thought this was only allowed to company Directors, up to £5k, and a Comp Sec. is not a Director. As Director the OP could take a loan from the company and then loan it to their partner, but they'd have to make sure it was paid back or they'd take on the tax burden.

Leave a comment:

• PAG
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams
    Not what I would advise!

Alan
    My accountant was also agianst paying Co secretary.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Doesn't this only work for Directors?

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    I spoke to my accountant earlier and he assured me I can write her a cheque as a loan from the company as long as the loan is repaid by her by the end of the tax year.
    Not what I would advise!

Alan

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    I spoke to my accountant earlier and he assured me I can write her a cheque as a loan from the company as long as the loan is repaid by her by the end of the tax year.

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    AFAIK placed can be hired to act as Coy Secretary. Also there is an act where the Secretary isnt needed anymore.
    The Companies Act 2006 has removed the requirement for a Company Secretary for small companies, however this has not taken effect yet, the exact date is expected later this year.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Langkawi
    Thanks folks.

Am glad I asked now, as its obviously more complicated than I thought.

Will proceed with my mate as Comp Sec but will forget the payment & divs idea.

Cheers,
    Alan
    Just buy him a few beers. Other than signing the forms once in a while there isnt that much he has to do.

AFAIK placed can be hired to act as Coy Secretary. Also there is an act where the Secretary isnt needed anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    My limited company is run fine, I have my tax and vat money sitting there ready to pay the returns, my question was simply could I take money out and put it back?
    If you take the dividend to lend her some cash then keep it simple, she then owes YOU the money. There is no need to repay the company because it is not owed anything.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    Who said anything about using it like a tax free piggy bank.

You do make me laugh.

My limited company is run fine, I have my tax and vat money sitting there ready to pay the returns, my question was simply could I take money out and put it back?

I don't care about paying tax on it if I have to, was just a simple inquiry, I have an accountant who I would ask about this stuff before I do anything, but he's away at the moment.

Also I've only been doing this for 6 months now, I'm still getting to grips with stuff, sorry If I sound stupid and all that

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Gulp!! I thought I was green when I started - this puts it into perspective!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X