• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing account

I just changed my accountant recently and my new accountant told mr that it would be easy and free of charge.

Now my old accountant comes up with a few of 250+ VAT to get my company i have been trading with.

Can they do that?
    Last edited by PeterPan; 12 February 2007, 16:18.

fee

No accountant should charge you for the transfer of records and as such you will need to find out exactly what the fee is for
    ie outstanding invoice etc

Comment

They wrote me that they are charging for:

"to cover the cost of incorporating the company for you and completing the transfer to your new accountants"

So that would be 250£+ VAT for just beening with them for 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterPan
        They wrote me that they are charging for:

"to cover the cost of incorporating the company for you and completing the transfer to your new accountants"

So that would be 250£+ VAT for just beening with them for 2 months.
        A lot of accountants set things up for free on the understanding that you'll do min 12 months with them on a monthly fee. If you've only paid them 2 months of fees then its probably fair enough that they want to recover some of the setup cost.

Comment

mmm the fooibles of running a limited company - one of the main reasons why going ltd is NOT the best option for the short term.

Comment

@rootsnall

i left them after 2 months because they screwed everything up what can be screwed up and now they are charging money for that.

@jh0711

i have a 12 months contract

Comment

Originally posted by PeterPan
              I just changed my accountant recently and my new accountant told mr that it would be easy and free of charge.

Now my old accountant comes up with a few of 250+ VAT to get my company i have been trading with.

Can they do that?
              If you run a limited company then you are already incorporated. Maybe there is a communication problem here ? It's not unusual to charge for incorporating a company (ie. registering it at Companies House etc), as there is a reasonable amount of work to do. Incorporation agents like Hanover can do it cheaper than an accountant.
              It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

is it worth setting up a ltd for a 12 month contract? serious question here - I guess for some the answer is yes but for a lot of people (who may be a touch less intersted in wringing out a couple of extra bucks from the tax man in return for a load more hassle) the answer will be no.

what is the cost of running a ltd? when you include initial set up fees, insurances, accoutnancy fees etc etc etc? I am thinking of doing it but I am a bit bone idle!

Comment

One of the biggest reasons I went MSC this time was grief running a LTD last time. It's a pain going along and getting rid is a pain as well. Paperwork, uncertainty about which money is yours etc.
                  Got a contract till May, going umbrella for the last 2 months because MSC is a no-go. Will make a decision when I get the next one about going LTD. Some people like the illusion of being in business - do you have stock, premises, employees, numerous customers etc. I like to keep it simple, I work, the money turns up - happy days.

Comment

Originally posted by jh0711
                    is it worth setting up a ltd for a 12 month contract? serious question here - I guess for some the answer is yes but for a lot of people (who may be a touch less intersted in wringing out a couple of extra bucks from the tax man in return for a load more hassle) the answer will be no.

what is the cost of running a ltd? when you include initial set up fees, insurances, accoutnancy fees etc etc etc? I am thinking of doing it but I am a bit bone idle!
                    I guess that depends on what you're plans are beyond the 12 months. If it's another contract or possibly a period on the bench then a limited company will be beneficial. If you're determined to go permie for life then there's no point having a limited. Once you've got one, it's relatively cheap to maintain through years when you don't need it because it can go dormant. You can always use it to trade on e-bay !
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                    X