• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self employed contract hire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self employed contract hire

My lad is a self employed chippie (not vat reg).

He is about to contract hire a van.

I am trying to decide which way to deal with his motoring expenses.

The simple way is claim nothing against his business income but expense 45p/25p. Parking etc still claimable.

In the alternative can I:-

a) Calculate the entire costs of van (hire, road tax, petrol, maintenance) and charge this against profit. Then on his tax return take a benefit of the van scale charge and the fuel scale charge.

b) As above but pro rate the personal usage (approx 17k/very little) and add that back.

Personal use is expected to be fairly low, however an "it is nil claim" would be unlikely. He is bound to do some. He does have a car though.

Working...
X