• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie contractor - please help!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie contractor - please help!

Hello,

I hope someone can help me out with some good advice, my apologies for being long-winded.

I've been offered an IT contract role, starting with six months and then rolling afterwards. I'll be working at the client site during normal office hours, commuting via public transport every day. My wife is at home, not working.

My questions are:

1) Is it better to contract using an umbrella company, or to set up my own (UK) limited company and work through that?
    2) Using the umbrella company, can I contract outside of IR35? If so, do I need to obtain appropriate insurance?
    3) Using a limited company, can I contract outside of IR35? If so, do I need to obtain appropriate insurance?
    4) Using a limited company, can I simply elect not to be VAT registered? I know there is a £58,000 turnover threshold, but if all one is doing is handing over the VAT then why bother? (I shouldn't have any significant VAT deductible expenses).
    5) Are all non-VAT registered limited companies inspected annually by the Inland Revenue? I know that VAT registered companies are inspected by the VAT man (but I don't know how often).
    6) Does my wife's current non-working status mitigate any tax/NI in any way, ie can we use her tax allowance at all, either under an umbrella or under a limited company?
    7) For those who use umbrella companies, can anyone recommend a good umbrella company?
    8 ) In incorporating a limited company, is it mandatory to declare the company's purpose?
    9) The $64,000 question: I've heard of UK IT contractors using hybrid UK/offshore "solutions", does anyone have any thoughts to offer on this particular route?

My thanks in advance to those with sensible advice.

P Metcalfe

Where do i start ??? I was new to it all many months ago as well. There is a useful link from the contractor UK home page for newbies that gives you lots of details.

Few key points i have learnt and i'm sure others on the site will be able to add more info.

IR35 doesn't apply to umbrella companies. Your own ltd company you would have to decide whether or not your caught by IR35.
    If you own a ltd company you don't have to be VAT registered until you are going to break the threshold where you then have to be.
    Whether to use an umbrella company or your own ltd is totally up to you. I currently use an umbrella company Parasol IT and have also owned my own ltd company. I prefer the umbrella company cause they take away the worries of having all that money (tax money for Mr brown) sat in your account calling your name to go and buy things with it. What the umbrella company pay me into my personal account is all mine to do what i please
    As for insurance i think it is a legal requirement to have certain insurances on your ltd company. Most umbrella companies offer this insurance included in their fee.

Comment

but you do pay more tax if using an umbrella company

Comment

Read some of the beginners guides. I think there is one on this site, and on the PCG site.

4) Being VAT registered is easy. Look into the Flat Rate Scheme. You don’t have to account for VAT on expenses with this scheme, but you do get to keep some of the VAT you collect.

5) You shouldn't expect an inspection every year. I've had no VAT and one PAYE inspection in 5 years.

6) Many people make their wife a share holder and pay her a dividend. However, the IR are trying to stop this. Look for stories about Section 660 or Arctic Systems for more info.

8 ) Yes, I think so, but they can be pretty general.

Comment

My contract is being extended at the end of this month and at the moment Im a single person company so Im going to create a new limited company, make wifey shareholder and also have her pay in her "wage" in to the company account as well (she does relief teaching, not sure who the relief is for though...the teacher getting the day off or the kids ).

S660 does appear to be a bit of a worry...but if we are both actually working on our seperate contracts AND also working on running the company then we shouldnt have to worry too much.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
          X