• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non-IT issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-IT issues

Does anyone know anything about running a club or society?

A group of guys that I meet up with from time to time all meet because we have an interest in American cars. They used to belong to a bigger car club but broke away for a variety of reasons. Up until now they have just been meeting at a local pub and organising as friends social "do's" and planning visits to car shows.

Now they will organise a show themselves and need to arrange event insurance. This will cover the show as well as the monthly get togethers. As a result their concern is whether they now have to form a legal entity i.e. a club in whose name the insurance policy would be. That raises new issues regarding formation, bank accounts, taxation, etc. Does anyone know anything about this area?

All help would be apreciated, especially regarding the first point on insurance.

TIA.

Originally posted by Mustang
    They used to belong to a bigger car club but broke away for a variety of reasons.

Did they not like the way the organisation was going? Does this make them a splinter group or the 'real' car club?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

More of a splinter group. Dont know the full details but now they have nothing to do with the original club.

Comment

Unless an individual is going to take it on themselves to organise the event, get insurance etc, then IMHO, I suggest it would be better to form an association.

You would need a constitution. There are plenty about to copy, like this one :-
        http://www.lrsoc.demon.co.uk/html/club_rules1.html
        ...and a committee to run it and be responsible for making joint decisions. Any insurance would be in the name of the association. This way you can share legal responsibility for anything the club does and ensure that the clubs funds are open to inspection etc by members. You will need simple accounts which can be audited each year and you will need to have a few formal meetings each year to elect comittee members, make and record decisions, gather any membership fees, review any funds, approve expenditure etc.

Getting a bank account can be a bit tricky and it will need to be in the name of the association or club. You need to file paperwork at the bank such as resolutions for opening an account and details of the chairman, treasurer and any other signatories. You don't usually need to pay corporation tax etc (see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ctsa/small-tax-liabilities.htm) providing you meet the requirements -ie. every year the club spends all its income.

Some of the bigger car clubs will be able to help you out on some of these things. There will also be clubs of clubs like the AACC which may also provide practical help and introductions etc.

If you're getting into events where you might make a financial loss or where there is a risk of material loss or injury (eg. a car being damaged), then it would be well worth getting professional advice - or at least reading up about the various liabilities of the decision-makers (committe) and members.
        Last edited by oraclesmith; 7 February 2007, 20:35.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
        X