• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Super deduction - Time for new equipment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I don't understand why anyone who is planning to upgrade their company's fixed assets would not plan to do so during the super-deduction period, regardless of business size. It really isn't that hard. The point of the super-deduction is to encourage spending on fixed assets sooner rather than later and it is obviously a decision input. Purchasing fixed assets for no good reason or that aren't required until 2078 is obviously a straw man.
    I agree completely. But the whole premise of the thread is to buy a super-expensive device, based on a new scheme, launched TODAY, but without any clear legislation to back it up.
    A laptop is really not the target asset of this really.
    It's as Maslins says. With the bump in CT coming, you don't want to stifle demand by forcing companies to delay their fixed asset purchases as a result of the CT change. It's quite a shrewd idea really.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I don't understand why a discount that lasts for 2 years, would have any bearing on a buying decision for a company device.
    If you don't need one then don't buy one.
    If you don't need one now it's quite conceivable you might in 2 years so why rush now?

And in any case, if you need one, this extra discount surely isn't going to be anything other than a nice bonus. Not a serious decision input.
    I don't understand why anyone who is planning to upgrade their company's fixed assets would not plan to do so during the super-deduction period, regardless of business size. It really isn't that hard. The point of the super-deduction is to encourage spending on fixed assets sooner rather than later and it is obviously a decision input. Purchasing fixed assets for no good reason or that aren't required until 2078 is obviously a straw man.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post

I think general consensus is the 130% super deduction is mainly aimed at counteracting incentive for big businesses to delay big capital investments. With the main CT rate going up from 19% to 25% in a couple of years, anyone expecting that jump to hit them considering big capital investments might be tempted to delay a couple of years, so the expenditure saves 25% CT rather than 19%. The 130% deduction counteracts that. The fact small businesses can benefit from it too I think is just a side effect that the government don't care about. I imagine the 130% super deduction will disappear at the same time the CT rate goes up.
    It's due to end 2023. So yes. Good call.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    I don't understand why a discount that lasts for 2 years, would have any bearing on a buying decision for a company device.
    If you don't need one now it's quite conceivable you might in 2 years so why rush now?

And in any case, if you need one, this extra discount surely isn't going to be anything other than a nice bonus. Not a serious decision input.
    I think general consensus is the 130% super deduction is mainly aimed at counteracting incentive for big businesses to delay big capital investments. With the main CT rate going up from 19% to 25% in a couple of years, anyone expecting that jump to hit them considering big capital investments might be tempted to delay a couple of years, so the expenditure saves 25% CT rather than 19%. The 130% deduction counteracts that. The fact small businesses can benefit from it too I think is just a side effect that the government don't care about. I imagine the 130% super deduction will disappear at the same time the CT rate goes up.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Well, I asked my accountant.

He thinks we will be able to claim it, not that it's going to be game-changing but it's better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    The OP has just summed up rather well precisely why we have such problems getting our voices heard inside HMRC. Sure, let's spend a silly amount of money (who need a £2k laptop these days?) that we don't have to spend to screw some extra taxes out of HMG because we can...

Grump.....
    That's really dumb. So who is allowed, in your eyes, to take advantage of this discount if not a small business owner?

Just because you can't, as you keep telling us you retired last millenium, doesn't mean no-one else should take advantage.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

surely it's better to correct your original, completely incorrect and hyperbolic post?
    But it's click bait

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by cwah View Post

Yes that is correct. They mentioned it in their example:
    • A company incurring £1m of qualifying expenditure decides to claim the super-deduction
    • Spending £1m on qualifying investments will mean the company can deduct £1.3m (130% of the initial investment) in computing its taxable profits
    • Deducting £1.3m from taxable profits will save the company up to 19% of that – or £247,000 – on its corporation tax bill.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go..._factsheet.pdf
    surely it's better to correct your original, completely incorrect and hyperbolic post?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by JHamp82 View Post
    Its best speaking to your accountant but it is my understanding the 130% is applied against the taxable CT calculation. So the CT reduction would be £3,900 x 19% reducing CT bill by £741 in this case.
    correct. Sorry I missed your post I was so busy correcting the idiotic suggestion in the first place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X