• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit card bill & benefit in kind

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio
    Note we haven't had an answer to my original question yet...

If we did, it would rapidly become obnvious if the OP is paying expenses the hard way or is looking to offload personal debt. Either way, he clearly needs re-educating.
    Why do you think your company can pay your personal debts?.

It is not business expenses, it is personal debt I had to incur last year due to some "cash flow issues"

I don't need re-educating, that's what I pay my accountant to tell me - if I knew the answers then I wouldn't need him. Just unfortunate he is away at the moment so I thought I would ask you good guys, although I should have expected a cr*ppy response from you rather than something constructive even if it was "you cannot do it".

Comment

Originally posted by lfc69
      It is not business expenses, it is personal debt I had to incur last year due to some "cash flow issues"

I don't need re-educating, that's what I pay my accountant to tell me - if I knew the answers then I wouldn't need him. Just unfortunate he is away at the moment so I thought I would ask you good guys, although I should have expected a cr*ppy response from you rather than something constructive even if it was "you cannot do it".
      You don't pay your accountant to answer questions like that, it is obviously a private individual question not a company one so the fee your company pays him wouldn't 'officially' cover this question

Comment

Well screw you sunshine. The original question I asked was totally relevant to giving a sensible answer. If its business expenses, then you can pay it all directly from company funds. If it isn't, you can't, you first have to withdraw money from the company as income or dividend and hey, you get to pay tax on it like everyone else.

However it appears you are failing to differentiate between YourCo money and your personal money and if you don't get over that you are going to be in trouble. Learn the rules, then complain.

Fscking amateurs...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If its business expenses, then you can pay it all directly from company funds. If it isn't, you can't, you first have to withdraw money from the company as income or dividend and hey, you get to pay tax on it like everyone else.
          so why the feck didn't you say that first rather than trying to be a di*k with questions like "Why do you think your company can pay your personal debts?"

Comment

so why the feck didn't you say that first rather than trying to be a di*k with questions like "Why do you think your company can pay your personal debts?"
            Because you didn't make it clear what you wanted to do. And you asked a question about divis and tax, when your real requirement was cutting credit card interest payments.

Haven't I worked from one of your specs, on some Contract From Hell sometime??

Comment

I did. Company money and your money are not the same thing, so why do you think you can use one to pay the other? It is no more stupid than asking Marks and Spencer to pay your credit card for you.

It's not me being the d*ck. Sorry...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

okay okay okay okay

I didn't come here for a fight, just advice.

As an ex-hippy let's chill

malvolio - thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread
                expat - sorry if i didn't make the question clear
                everyone else - thanks

Comment

okay okay okay okay

I didn't come here for a fight, just advice.

As an ex-hippy let's chill

malvolio - thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread
                  expat - sorry if i didn't make the question clear
                  everyone else - thanks
                  lfc69 why so angry? The guys are only trying to help, divert the anger elsewhere not on others

PS pay the extra tax, I’m over myself, get over it, get organised.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Another option.

This might be effective, or it might not and you would need to speak with your accountant but the company can pretty much use it's funds to pay whatever the hell it wants (subject to board approval). The question is the tax treatment.

now, if this is a temporary thing one thing that you might consider is for the company to pay the 3k - that of itself is not a problem (apart from it being illegal*). This then becomes a loan to you which should be cleared within 9 months.

You clear the loan after april when you might be able to be a bit more organised with respect to 40% taxation.

The potential advantage to this route is you might be able to save some 40% tax.

In any event the loan is a benefit in kind to the director - so the nominal interest is taxable. This can be avoided by payng an approrpiate rate of interest to the company.

This might help, and your accountant reaction might vary from "ok fine", through "well I don't generally recommend this" to "you're having a laugh"

* The companies act effectively precludes a company making loans to it's director. However it needs a complaint from an injured party - e.g. other shareholders. Accountants views differ wildly on this practice.

It will also complicate the CT position because (if memory serves) the 3k is not allowable in the CT calculation - thus increasing the CT bill by 3k x 19%. However relief is obtained when he debt is repaid.

Comment

Whats wrong with you lot? All the lad is asking is how can he take a further £3k out of his company account in the most tax efficient way.

If he takes it as divvies he'll go over the tax threshold.

Ifc69 - do you know you can take a director loan of up to £5k (I think). It obviously has to be paid back (again, *I think* it's within 6 months of your year end or something like that). That might get you out of paying interest on your card for a while?

I'm not much help with this stuff as I just take whatever I want out of my company account and take the tax hit. It wont be the best way of doing things, but I couldn't give a toss
                      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                      X