• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bankruptcy - What options for a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy - What options for a contractor

18 months ago I entered into bankruptcy. This ended after 12 months (as per the new rules) but I also received a Bankruptcy Restictions Undertaking (for 5 years) which means that I cant be a director of as limited company.

I have been with a MSC so far relying on expenses to reduce my tax bill but I appreciate this cant continue post April.

I am considering an alternative msc such as Payscheme Plus using the offshore element to reduce my taxes as they suggest this will be exempt from the new rules. Not sure if my agency (Reed) will accept them though.

Anybody any idea of other options apart from a brolly PAYE scheme?

Cheers,

Mat

Stop right now. Bogus expenses and hokey off-shore schemes are going to land you in jail as well as bankrupt.

Brolly PAYE is your safest and only realistic option.

Comment

Can you let somebody else be the director of your company and still retain 100% shareholding (and still get 100% of dividends)?

Sounds very dubious.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by mat
        18 months ago I entered into bankruptcy. This ended after 12 months (as per the new rules) but I also received a Bankruptcy Restictions Undertaking (for 5 years) which means that I cant be a director of as limited company.

I have been with a MSC so far relying on expenses to reduce my tax bill but I appreciate this cant continue post April.

I am considering an alternative msc such as Payscheme Plus using the offshore element to reduce my taxes as they suggest this will be exempt from the new rules. Not sure if my agency (Reed) will accept them though.

Anybody any idea of other options apart from a brolly PAYE scheme?

Cheers,

Mat
        Apply to the court and they may lift the BRU all or partially. It will largely depend on the allegations made by the OR that you appear to have accepted. The insolvency service can tell you how to go about it.

Comment

Bankruptcy

Go see a lawyer and they will act as MD for you for a fee, or try UKPLC.com and look on their website I think they offer something similar although again for a fee, and no I'm not receiving a finders fee for this advice. Although....

Comment

Working...
          X