• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on banks - Tide vs Starling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Do you think that the bank will go under in those few moments when you're moving money about? Crikey how unstable is HSBC these days? Pretty sure you'd see a run on the bank first that would give you notice of impending doom.
    HSBC systems are just one above RBS' in terms of sprawling legacy undocumented fare.

I lost access during the financial crash to my trading accounts at two well known institutions, apparently a glitch. That glitch affected other people in the UK simultaneously and disallowed 'sell' and 'stop loss' orders. It wasn't a glitch. Given QE and the fragile state of the international economy I trust no bank or government to repatriate above £85k once the dust has settled of the next crisis.

Comment

Just to add, Starling does offer a web portal for their business banking. You do still need your phone to auth for it though.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
        HSBC systems are just one above RBS' in terms of sprawling legacy undocumented fare.

I lost access during the financial crash to my trading accounts at two well known institutions, apparently a glitch. That glitch affected other people in the UK simultaneously and disallowed 'sell' and 'stop loss' orders. It wasn't a glitch. Given QE and the fragile state of the international economy I trust no bank or government to repatriate above £85k once the dust has settled of the next crisis.
        But that's investments not day to day retail banking.

I have been with HSBC for probably 25+ years, 15 with a business account. Never once have I had issue accessing any of my accounts when I needed to. They have been proactive when my personal debit card was skimmed in a petrol station and someone tried to withdraw cash in Thailand a couple of days later.

They are a bunch shysters, no doubt about it, but for a day or two moving cash in and out? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Comment

Working...
        X