• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MVL to contracting

A thought I've had re MVL then returning to contracting. Firstly, of course, no reason why people can't use an umbrella for the 2-3 year window to make any MVL distributions safe.

However, if the contractor has something in writing from the client stating the client won't work with the contractor via a Ltd Co, and have to go umbrella, and there's negligible outside IR35 opportunities available now, that's a pretty good reason other than benefiting from ER etc for liquidating their company. Ie the market has basically forced the contractor's hand. Plenty of articles doing the rounds at the moment that provide some evidence for this.

If in 12 months time, things have relaxed a little, and corporates are starting to offer plenty of outside IR35 roles again (I appreciate this is a reasonably big "if", but it's the situation NLUK alludes to)...then perhaps it would be perfectly reasonable for the contractor to start up a Ltd Co again.

I'd be a bit nervous recommending that to a Maslins client as I don't think it's watertight, but it would seem a reasonably strong argument.

Working...
X