• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can Anyone Recommend an Insurance Broker or Financial Advisor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Anyone Recommend an Insurance Broker or Financial Advisor?

A few years back I had a financial adviser who helped me to purchase several kinds of insurance, including a whole-of-life policy and life insurance that pays off your mortgage. I've also got a rather expensive critical illness / income protection policy. It's been 12 years or so and I would like to review these policies and make sure they are still good value and appropriate. From what I understand, as a contractor there are certain aspects that should be set up correctly so I guess I need someone to help me, but I am not sure who I should contact. I'm not willing to use the adviser who set all this up in the first place, and would like to avoid someone who makes money by selling me things I don't need.

I'm thinking that I need an insurance broker or a financial adviser who understands contracting.

Any advice or recommendations?

I use Ian Wilson at Forum Wealth. Lovely chap, can talk the hind leg off a donkey, but did get all my various pots and bits sorted out.

Office based in Aldgate but also does lots over the phone / email once you've got the initial pleasantries over with.

PM me if you need more info to find him.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I use Ian Wilson at Forum Wealth. Lovely chap, can talk the hind leg off a donkey, but did get all my various pots and bits sorted out.

Office based in Aldgate but also does lots over the phone / email once you've got the initial pleasantries over with.

PM me if you need more info to find him.
      Thanks, did he seem to have special knowledge about insurance? Did he get paid by commission or did you pay him upfront?

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
        Thanks, did he seem to have special knowledge about insurance? Did he get paid by commission or did you pay him upfront?
        Definitely good on the life insurances side of things.

I paid an up front fee for the overall insurance advice and setup and there is an element of commission for ongoing maintenance of the pension he arranged.

You won't pay anything for having an initial chat

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
          A few years back I had a financial adviser who helped me to purchase several kinds of insurance, including a whole-of-life policy and life insurance that pays off your mortgage. I've also got a rather expensive critical illness / income protection policy. It's been 12 years or so and I would like to review these policies and make sure they are still good value and appropriate. From what I understand, as a contractor there are certain aspects that should be set up correctly so I guess I need someone to help me, but I am not sure who I should contact. I'm not willing to use the adviser who set all this up in the first place, and would like to avoid someone who makes money by selling me things I don't need.

I'm thinking that I need an insurance broker or a financial adviser who understands contracting.

Any advice or recommendations?
          If your an ipse member you won’t beat their life insurance (paid via your company) up to £250K

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            If your an ipse member you won’t beat their life insurance (paid via your company) up to £250K

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            Thanks for that, but I've already got life inusrance. I need to figure out if it's still what I need and still a good deal. Same for my other kinds of insurance.

Comment

Working...
            X