• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC - likely to take issue with R&D VAT refund?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC - likely to take issue with R&D VAT refund?

Hi all,

I do a bit of R&D from home, and produce very little output. So my VAT balance mostly looks negative.

The R&D is for commercial product development. I'm hopeful that a commercially viable product will come out of the woodwork as a result, but I might not sell a single thing for two years.

Are HMRC likely to take umbridge with frequent refunds? Is it worth the hassle for ~£1,000/year in VAT refunds? An accountant friend advised me that frequent refunds could trigger an audit.

Note I'm considering registering for VAT, I haven't done it yet, but would be taking advantage of the 4-year rule if I did.

Tom

They could question why you're VAT registered after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      They could question why you're VAT registered after a while.
      The answer to which would be to reclaim business expenses for product development.

Whether that is a good answer; I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by tom667 View Post
        The answer to which would be to reclaim business expenses for product development.

Whether that is a good answer; I don't know.
        When you register I believe you will be asked if you expect to be reclaiming more VAT than you are paying, in other words, if you expect it to be regular refunds, rather than payments.

That would suggest this is not particularly unusual and is unlikely to be an issue.

Comment

Working...
        X