• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses cock-up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses cock-up

I work under an umbrella company, and I have mistakenly claimed the 40p per mile rate for more than the 10,000 miles that are allowed. I get paid weekly so I have already recieved payment for some of these weeks.

I realise that this is entriely my fault, my mistake, but how do I go about rectifying this?

Thank you all in advance for helping with my stupidity!

Two options.

1) Tell your umbrella company to sort it out. This is, after all, what you pay them for.

2) If you usually fill in a Personal Tax return (self assesment) then it will all come out in the wash, and you will have to pay the extra tax by (I think) jan next year.

Comment

Another wacky idea

is to phone the IR and ask them. They are quite helpful with this sort of thing and will know the best way to resolve it painlessly. (It only gets difficult when they are dealing with companies rather than people.)

Comment

Re: Another wacky idea

Very honest of you. I bet nobody would ever have noticed.

I concur with above, let the Umbrella sort it out, they can either deduct from other amounts due or declare a taxable benefit on your P11D. If they are really crap you could phone IR as M suggests and they will adjust your tax. I have never found that they make a big deal out of smallish honest errors.

Comment

Working...
        X