• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to choose the best accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to choose the best accountant

Need help with something. I own a small business, and I’m currently planning to hire an accounting service provider who can help me with bookkeeping tasks. So far, my top choice is one of these accountants <mod snip> that my friend recommended. So just to further ensure that I’m on the right track, is there anything that I should look into aside from the experience and rates of the accountant?

<NLUK mode> If only there was a lengthy sticky at the top of this board that discussed accountants in detail</NLUK mode>

Comment

Originally posted by AlishaHewitt View Post
      Need help with something. I own a small business, and I’m currently planning to hire an accounting service provider who can help me with bookkeeping tasks. So far, my top choice is one of these accountants <mod snip> that my friend recommended. So just to further ensure that I’m on the right track, is there anything that I should look into aside from the experience and rates of the accountant?
      Personally, I'd ask anyone you know and trust if they have an accountant and whether they'd recommend them.

Failing that, pick three, call them all and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

Comment

Originally posted by AlishaHewitt View Post
        Most of our new clients come from current client referrals, that way you know you're going to get a good service. If you have an agent, don't go with their referral, they get commission for each referral and it's nothing to do with the quality of accountant.

Always best to give them a call first too. That way you'll get an idea of what they offer, how personable they are and if they're a good fit for you.
        www.inniaccounts.co.uk

Comment

In addition to the sticky thread at the top of this section, you might find this one helpful: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...countants.html

Comment

Interview them, just like you would a potential employee... What matters to you most?

When I first went contracting (by accident), I panicked and went with the recruiter's recommendation (Brookson - terrible).

I then enlisted the sticky others have recommended, and Gorilla accounting were suggested. Over the last 9 months or so, they've been brilliant - always the same person, always responsive, even if my accountant is on holiday, very attentive, and went above and beyond sorting out some of the mess on previous tax returns Brookson left behind.

Refer to Sticky. Failing that, just use Gorilla (silly name, but great service)!

Comment

Working...
            X