• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client wants to take me for dinner (evening)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client wants to take me for dinner (evening)

Am I right in thinking I need to pay my own way for IR35 reasons?

My client will be taking (and paying for) their end client too and has been clear that this is a 'getting to know you' thing, so my interpretation is that this is more of a meeting and letting my client pay for those is sensible.

Some senior end client people attending that it would be worth meeting - I'm not planning to pass it up either way (I'm not letting the IR35 tail wag the dog!).

You pay for everything all night - is the correct answer

Forget IR35 nonsense in this one

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
      (I'm not letting the IR35 tail wag the dog!).
      Yes you are. You are thinking about changing a situation purely for Ir35 reasons.

What would be better, rather than worrying about such a trivial one off matter, would be to get a much better understanding of Ir35 and and how you run your business. Together you'll get a much clearer picture of what it is, why it's there and how it impacts your business. If you've done that then situations like this will be much easier to understand.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sometimes a client takes me to lunch. Sometimes, I take them to lunch. Rarely happens with dinner but the lunch thing happens all the time. Why is this IR35 related? Your client is out with their client, so it's obviously not an employment lunch, it's a B2B lunch. So whoever pays, pays.

Let the guy who offered pay the bill.

Comment

If you offer to pay without being asked, you will look mean spirited. If they ask you to pay, then you should pay.

Comment

Definitely chill. The attendees demonstrate that this is a business meeting that the client is hosting and they are choosing to foot the bill.

Comment

What WiB said.

Occasionally we meet with clients for lunch. More often than not we'd pay, but if they pay, that wouldn't in any way suggest we're now an employee of theirs/have IR35 concerns.

Sounds like this meeting is about your client trying to impress their end client (and I'd anticipate they'll be putting the costs down as "business entertaining"). You're presumably being asked along as your knowledge may be useful.

If I were in your shoes, I'd ensure I had plenty of money with me just in case, but would expect your client to pay, and I say thank you at the end.

Comment

Am I right in thinking I need to pay my own way for IR35 reasons?

My client will be taking (and paying for) their end client too and has been clear that this is a 'getting to know you' thing, so my interpretation is that this is more of a meeting and letting my client pay for those is sensible.

Some senior end client people attending that it would be worth meeting - I'm not planning to pass it up either way (I'm not letting the IR35 tail wag the dog!).
                I think you maybe confusing it with staff parties and training for IR35 purposes. On this occasion I wouldn't worry about it. It's clearly client entertaining from the end client's perspective and not one that they would do for staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
                  I think you maybe confusing it with staff parties and training for IR35 purposes. On this occasion I wouldn't worry about it. It's clearly client entertaining from the end client's perspective and not one that they would do for staff.
                  Yes, that's exactly what happened - the replies have made that quite clear - thanks all.

Comment

Yes, that's exactly what happened - the replies have made that quite clear - thanks all.
                    Is it a fancy restaurant?

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2668310
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X