• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you choose your accountant?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you choose your accountant?

Hi everyone,

When choosing an accountant, do you make your choice based on reviews and testimonials i.e Trustpilot etc, price, word of mouth or something else?
    www.inniaccounts.co.uk

Originally posted by Jess inniAccounts View Post
    Hi everyone,

When choosing an accountant, do you make your choice based on reviews and testimonials i.e Trustpilot etc, price, word of mouth or something else?
    I made my choice based on good forum advice and being named forum advisor of the year

Not sure how I'll make the decision in the future, but I'll possibly start with checking more carefully who they are (LinkedIn profile, digital footprint, etc etc) if I don't just give up on accountants and do it myself.
    I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
      I made my choice based on good forum advice and being named forum advisor of the year

Not sure how I'll make the decision in the future, but I'll possibly start with checking more carefully who they are (LinkedIn profile, digital footprint, etc etc) if I don't just give up on accountants and do it myself.
      LOL!

I was referred to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post

I ended up marrying Best Forum Adviser of 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
          Was it on her Tinder profile?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Was it on her Tinder profile?
            How did you know? She had a CUK sash on too!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
              If you can't beat 'em, join' em hey.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would ignore Trust Pilot and similar reviews, they are too easy to manipulate and the recent article in The Times exposed how these review companies allow companies to suppress negative feedback.

I would ask colleagues who actually use accountants and absolutely ignore agencies etc as these are solely motivated by the huge bungs that some accountants pay for recommendations.

The Bribery Act seems to be widely ignored by agencies and accountants!
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                  I would ignore Trust Pilot and similar reviews, they are too easy to manipulate and the recent article in The Times exposed how these review companies allow companies to suppress negative feedback.
                  Yeah I did a bit of research into Trustpilot a while back, and it seems basically if you pay them enough they'll remove negative reviews of you (under the guise of "removing erroneous/fraudulent reviews" of course).

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                  I would ask colleagues who actually use accountants and absolutely ignore agencies etc as these are solely motivated by the huge bungs that some accountants pay for recommendations.

The Bribery Act seems to be widely ignored by agencies and accountants!
                  Re bribery act specifically, potentially so, I'm not too familiar. As I've said in other posts, one differential between firms accredited by the ICAEW/ACCA/ICAS) and those that aren't, is re accepting commissions. Generally it's more trouble than it's worth for chartered accountancy firms to get kickbacks, assuming they play by the rules. Those who aren't chartered as a firm (but may well have individual staff members who are) can do what they like. Clients become "products" to milk. Whether the accountancy firm is helping you set up a business bank account, a pension, insurance/IFA, use a liquidator...be aware there's a good chance they're profiting from it. Having said that, the specific issue you mention is more the agency profiting from the worker, with it being considered a marketing cost for the accountant. Often accountancy firms doing this will have particularly harsh get out clauses/minimum timeframe to be with them etc to ensure the big upfront cost to buy the client pays off.

Comment

I choose one that begins with Q. Ends in S. And has DO in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                    X