• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overpayment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overpayment

Hello,

Does the client being stupid, unable to add up therefore overpaying you by £200 affect IR35 or anything else in anyway shape or form?

Cheers
    Sock

i think they can claim the cash back if they find the mistake - up to 3 or even 6 years??????? later??

Comment

It wont have any effect on IR35 because IR35 has nothing to do with how much you get paid. It also won't worry the VAT man because you haven't invoiced for it, therefore you haven't invoiced for VAT on it either.

Just stick it in a savings account and wait for them to ask for it back, may as well make some some money out of it while you are waiting, even if it is a pittance.

Just make sure you don't spend it as it is not your money and they are well within thier rights to ask for it back. Not paying it back would be theft.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        Hello,

Does the client being stupid, unable to add up therefore overpaying you by £200 affect IR35 or anything else in anyway shape or form?

Cheers
        Sock
        Did you consider informing the client of their mistake? Always handy keeping a good relationship with them.

turbo

Comment

Much as it pains me to say, I'd let them know mate. It's a lot more fun to spend the money, but probably not owrth the hassle in the long run.
          Call the cops

Comment

Does it make it any more acceptable if its the agent that over payed me

Ok, ok....I'll phone them.

Comment

I would personally just go for the chuck it in a savings account and wait option. I'm sure they will find out but you can just say, oh did you? Let me check my records. My goodness you are right, let me transfer that back to you right away.

No loss of relationship with the client and it is quite reasonable fr you not to notice that you have been overpaid, hell they haven't noticed that they overpaid you, why should you be more vigilant than them?

Whatever you do, don't spend it though, you need to be able to give it back when they ask.

Comment

Working...
              X