• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC steal interest on early CT payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should just sit on your account or they’ll send you a cheque.

I just received a cheque for £25 for interest accrued.

Therefore I think your accountant may be incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by rectifier View Post
      That's exactly what I asked my accountant - why doesn't it just roll forward... But no, less than a certain amount and it is written off / stolen.

However, this thread has finally pushed me into action to open an Aldermore account so that's a result.
      Your accountant is giving you false information. It does roll forward. Indefinitely AFAIK. For example, the year before last, I had less than five quid in interest for the few days it was sitting with them before the deadline, and that rolled forward to last year, and the same again this year, at which point I paid the CT600 figure for this year minus the accrued interest, rather than letting it roll forward again. So they will roll forward even a few quid.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Your accountant is giving you false information. It does roll forward. Indefinitely AFAIK. For example, the year before last, I had less than five quid in interest for the few days it was sitting with them before the deadline, and that rolled forward to last year, and the same again this year, at which point I paid the CT600 figure for this year minus the accrued interest, rather than letting it roll forward again. So they will roll forward even a few quid.
        I got an answer about this in the end - you're right my accountant was partially incorrect about this.

Any interest payment does come off your CT bill from the following year no matter how small.

However, if you accrue interest below a certain amount, and then DO NOT reduce your CT payment by this amount the immediate year following, then it is written off as a "permanent overpayment". So my small interest payment owed from 2017 had been written off.

As I said earlier in the thread this is a trivial sum of money, but given that the procedure obviously exists to carry balances forward, it's annoying behaviour. No reason why it can't be carried forward more than a year.

Comment

I got an answer about this in the end - you're right my accountant was partially incorrect about this.

Any interest payment does come off your CT bill from the following year no matter how small.

However, if you accrue interest below a certain amount, and then DO NOT reduce your CT payment by this amount the immediate year following, then it is written off as a "permanent overpayment". So my small interest payment owed from 2017 had been written off.

As I said earlier in the thread this is a trivial sum of money, but given that the procedure obviously exists to carry balances forward, it's annoying behaviour. No reason why it can't be carried forward more than a year.
          Like I said in the post that you were responding to, that isn't my experience (also for small amounts). My experience is that it's carried over more than one year. Who did you speak to? If it's your accountant, I'd suggest that they have form.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Like I said in the post that you were responding to, that isn't my experience (also for small amounts). My experience is that it's carried over more than one year. Who did you speak to? If it's your accountant, I'd suggest that they have form.
            I always question my accountant (especially after what you said about this) but what she said is actually reflected in my online account - the amount was written off.

Sounds like it's not a consistent policy though - don't know if that's worse or better.

Comment

I always question my accountant (especially after what you said about this) but what she said is actually reflected in my online account - the amount was written off.

Sounds like it's not a consistent policy though - don't know if that's worse or better.
              Your HMRC online account? Curious. Although I wouldn't necessarily interpret absence as written off (i.e. how did you observe the process of HMRC writing this off?). It will probably cost you more to wait inline on the HMRC helpline than the amount you're talking about though

Comment

Nope course it's not worth worrying about in terms of the value - HMRC just hack me off with this behaviour. You can be sure if I owed *them* interest, no matter how low the value, they'd be onto me.

They did it to me a couple of years ago with a paterntity leave credit which they refused to honour which was about 250 quid - ever since then I've been sensitive to it.
                I requested that the incentive for online filing be paid in cash to MyCo. It never was, but it's one entry in my Bismark file. But there again, I guess HMRC have been warned off me and I've never had any arguments with them since where I could bring this up.

Comment

Working...
                X