• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can I calculate my pension allowance this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ricardo19ip View Post
    (I will open a SIPP in a few days).
    This is key. you can only backdate into a SIPP you already had open. So you will be restricted to a 40k Employers contrib, this years only.

Comment

Originally posted by 56samba View Post
      This is key. you can only backdate into a SIPP you already had open. So you will be restricted to a 40k Employers contrib, this years only.
      It might be key, but it is wrong. As long as you had any pension open, you can contribute carryovers from years in which it was open, up to the last three. They don't have to go into a pension that was open, your right to use the allowance is predicated on whether or not you had any pension open.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        It might be key, but it is wrong. As long as you had any pension open, you can contribute carryovers from years in which it was open, up to the last three. They don't have to go into a pension that was open, your right to use the allowance is predicated on whether or not you had any pension open.
        Look at that, I learned something.

Comment

Originally posted by 56samba View Post
          Look at that, I learned something.
          Unless I'm wrong this time.

It happened to me once back in 1983, so it could happen again. Pretty sure it didn't this time, though.

Comment

Looking for SIPP

OP may I ask where's your SIPP?

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
              OP may I ask where's your SIPP?
              Halifax SIPP. After checking reviews, I think it is the most cost effective in the long term.
              I had Aviva, but transfered everything there.
              I bought a global index tracker from vanguard and I programmed the system to invest 1200 monthly.
              I will check again in 25 years to see if I am finally millionare ????

Comment

Do you need to tell them exactly what shares to buy? Or you can go with a tracker fund?

I feel intimidated to start purchasing stocks on my own with my pension money.

Also, how long does it take to open an account?
                Last edited by Syd; 10 March 2019, 23:57.

Comment

Working...
                X