• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding fine: calculation of weekly income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure this is in the right place, but...

My weekly salary is very low (£175 or so). The rest of the earnings from my contracting are paid from my limited company directly into my pension.

Is the weekly salary all the court can take into account?

Thanks

Mark

You pay £175 per week and no dividends?

If so then yeah. That’s your earnings so it’s a fair representation?
    Last edited by MrButton; 7 July 2018, 22:03.

Comment

What does that have to do with a speeding fine ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Fines can be based on earnings now. I’m sure I’ve read that.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          The fine is up to 175% of weekly income:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/co...-wages-monday/

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...weekly-income/

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
            You pay £175 per week and no dividends?

If so then yeah. That’s your earnings so it’s a fair representation?
            Correct, currently no dividends (actually never any since I started this limited company).

Mark.

Comment

But you still may get an offer of speed awareness course or fixed penalty anyway... So it doesnt matter.

I did crap myself recently when I got caught - especailly since i'm through an umbrella - that would have been massive.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/l...peeding-fines/

Most normal offences, where you are caught exceeding the limit by a small amount over any tolerance at discretion of the fuzz on the day (e.g. 10% + 2 mph) will be the normal fixed penalty notice of £100 + 3 points. If it goes to court for any reason then that's where they can fine up to £1000 (or £2500 for motorway offence) based on weekly income.

Not sure how they calculate weekly income if say you are using typical minimum salary plus dividend approach, whether they look at salary only as dividends are not paid often enough to be predictable and guaranteed income.

Just another way for the 'hard working families' to pay disproportionately more than those playing the benefits system. Why do only fools and horses work, it's a mugs game.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/l...peeding-fines/

Most normal offences, where you are caught exceeding the limit by a small amount over any tolerance at discretion of the fuzz on the day (e.g. 10% + 2 mph) will be the normal fixed penalty notice of £100 + 3 points. If it goes to court for any reason then that's where they can fine up to £1000 (or £2500 for motorway offence) based on weekly income.

Not sure how they calculate weekly income if say you are using typical minimum salary plus dividend approach, whether they look at salary only as dividends are not paid often enough to be predictable and guaranteed income.

Just another way for the 'hard working families' to pay disproportionately more than those playing the benefits system. Why do only fools and horses work, it's a mugs game.
                  There is meant to be deterrent factor in fines, so it makes sense to fine wealthier people more.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    There is meant to be deterrent factor in fines, so it makes sense to fine wealthier people more.
                    No.

Taxation need not be equal but justice should be. Punishment should fit the crime, not the impact on the perpetrator.

Richard Branson shouldn't pay any more for a speeding fine than I should.

Somebody who is retired shouldn't go to prison longer than I should just because he has more time to spare.

Comment

Working...
                    X