• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rental (+ food!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I was advised that it didn't matter. Simply became an expense claimed back from YourCo if you paid for it personally.
    It is always a good idea to contract in YourCo.'s name - this removes any doubt who the contracting parties are, as well as shifting contractual liability to YourCo. Additionally, if you and the Vendor are VAT registered, you can claim the VAT back, too.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      It is always a good idea to contract in YourCo.'s name - this removes any doubt who the contracting parties are, as well as shifting contractual liability to YourCo. Additionally, if you and the Vendor are VAT registered, you can claim the VAT back, too.
      I'm not sure how practical this is - I've rented 3 flats in London and have ben told each time that a business let isn't possible as a business credit check isn't possible or acceptable. How many flats have you rented Scruff and what were your experiences ?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
        I'm not sure how practical this is - I've rented 3 flats in London and have ben told each time that a business let isn't possible as a business credit check isn't possible or acceptable. How many flats have you rented Scruff and what were your experiences ?
        Serviced Apartments are commercial enterprises and are geared up to be let by Corporate Entities. If they aren't, I would question their business model, and not use them. I would not rent a residential apartment in MyCo.'s name to use as a base whilst living away.

I have never rented an apartment in MyCo.'s name. When I work away, I stay in hotels.
        Last edited by Scruff; 5 July 2018, 15:43. Reason: minor edit
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
          Rented a few flats whilst staying away over the years. Always in myco name. Never had a problem. Being told that a business let in not possible is the letting agent being lazy, or dodgy! Most reputable letting agents do not have a problem with a business let so long as you can provide 3 years worth of accounts. I would be wary of any agent who makes such lame excuses regarding not being able to let to a business.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Your accountant advised the same as mine did.

I'd also advise against renting from a risk point of view - your project could be canned at any time but you are committed to the rent for the length of your rental contract.
            That happened to me when the client canned the whole project. I was left with a flat I didn't need at Victoria docks. I told the landlord and we agreed that they would advertise it and I'd stump up their costs.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
              That happened to me when the client canned the whole project. I was left with a flat I didn't need at Victoria docks. I told the landlord and we agreed that they would advertise it and I'd stump up their costs.
              Yeah, it's not pretty. You're generally, unless you get lucky, going to be a couple of grand out of pocket.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

So my accountant took a fresh look at the situation and has agreed that even if you rent a flat (as opposed to hotel) that you can claim for expenses like food without needing to declare anything on P11D.

Comment

Working...
                X