• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving accountants - paying for both in one month?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving accountants - paying for both in one month?

I'm finally moving accountants, but it looks like I may have to pay for both for one month, as SJD say they have a 30 days' notice policy.

Is this in line with others' experience when moving accountants? Clearly it's not the end of the world, but I had hoped that I wouldn't need to pay both the new and the old accountants for the same month.

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
    I'm finally moving accountants, but it looks like I may have to pay for both for one month, as SJD say they have a 30 days' notice policy.

Is this in line with others' experience when moving accountants? Clearly it's not the end of the world, but I had hoped that I wouldn't need to pay both the new and the old accountants for the same month.
    You should be able to liaise with the new accountant, to start the monthly service after your notice period with SJD.

Most new accountants will be flexible and it means that SJD can finish off their tasks for the fees you've paid and then there is a clean break with the new accountant taking over.

HTH
    We're all ears!

Comment

Notice periods can be common but i would check the T&C's. I agree you should be able to speak with your new accountants, maybe they will waive the first month fee for you and your new accountant will be able to begin the process of taking over your accounts. Flexibility is the key when working on a new business relationship.

As for 30 days notice period, may be worth speaking with them on this. For example some companies charge 12 months fees to produce a set of company accounts, if you're at company year end why should you pay a further month fee into your next company year!

Worth pointing out that they will not be doing any work for you for the month that you leave.
      Last edited by DolanContractorGroup; 24 May 2018, 13:42.
      Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Accountants

As the guys mention, worthwhile discussing with the outgoing accountant to move the date of the first payment, most will be quite amenable.

Check your T&C's to make sure they're entitled to the month, few firms have them, others (like ourselves) don't.

Comment

This happened to us today - it might even be you. We waived the first month’s fee. Small price to pay for a new relationship and a nice bit of goodwill to kick things off with.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
            This happened to us today - it might even be you. We waived the first month’s fee. Small price to pay for a new relationship and a nice bit of goodwill to kick things off with.
            It might well...

Thanks!

Comment

We offer the 1st month free to all clients, which has worked well will clients who have transferred to us from other accountants. You shouldn't have to pay both the old and new accountant but there may be an overlap in the service having to be in touch with both accountants in your first month, so your new accountant should normally agree to wave the first month fee if they want to take you on board.

Comment

What exactly do 'monthly' fees cover?

Isn't it partly for work carried out in that month but mainly for work to be carried out at the year end, i.e. year-end accounts?

I sometimes struggle to understand the monthly fee concept.

Comment

Paying twice for your services if you switch

I have found switching accountants an absolute nightmare. My outgoing accountant is behaving like a 2 year old and refusing to provide year end accounts or self assessments despite me completing a full financial year (plus 3 months) with them. He also has stopped doing anything on my account at all (I have quite a complicated reconciliation to do as I am invoicing but am inside IR35 so payments received never match my invoices)

He also now refers to me as "she" and "her" in emails to/about me instead of using my name.

Its going to cost me an extra grand to get the new accountant to do the work.

So - the additional cost is something to bear in mind when deciding to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel J View Post
                    I have found switching accountants an absolute nightmare. My outgoing accountant is behaving like a 2 year old and refusing to provide year end accounts or self assessments despite me completing a full financial year (plus 3 months) with them. He also has stopped doing anything on my account at all (I have quite a complicated reconciliation to do as I am invoicing but am inside IR35 so payments received never match my invoices)

He also now refers to me as "she" and "her" in emails to/about me instead of using my name.

Its going to cost me an extra grand to get the new accountant to do the work.

So - the additional cost is something to bear in mind when deciding to switch.
                    Sounds horrific. To be fair, although there were a significant number of reasons why I chose to leave SJD, they haven't subsequently behaved badly (other than the irritating requirement on being paid for a notice period for their services). Actually, they made quite a strong (financial) play to try to keep me; but I'd had enough of arguing about treatment of charitable donations etc.

Look at it this way, if it cost you a grand to get rid of them, it may well have cost you more than that in other ways if you had stayed.

Comment

Working...
                    X