• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need advice on working in Belgium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on working in Belgium

Hi All,

I am now to this forum so please bear with me while I get to grips with it

A little bit about me (Followed by my questions):

Currently contracting in the healthcare section in Belgium. Been here since early Jan. My main concern was finding a property to rent (which I have now - finally). Next steps... making sure I am all okay legally.

I plan to use the place as a Sunday night/Monday - Friday place to stay and travel back to UK on weekends. Maybe 2 times a month. I have a limited company. My agency is UK based and I am getting paid into my UK bank in pounds. Insured with a UK company.

My questions to you are:
    Do I pay for UK and/or Belgian taxes?
    Am I supposed to register as 'working here'?

What should I be aware of and not aware of?
    New to contracting so apologies for the 'silly' questions

Kind regards,

Jigga.

Have you got a LIMOSA?

Have you actually been paid yet? (Full amount into your business account by your agent ?)

Comment

Next steps? Um.... Sorting our your legal and tax obligations was, I think, your first step.

The general rule (absent specific circumstances) is that you pay tax where the work is done from day one, and you additionally pay tax on your worldwide income where you're resident (unless you're a citizen of one of a few countries, such as the US). You can claim tax treaty benefits to avoid paying tax on the same income twice, which effectively means that you pay the higher of the two rates of the countries involved. Based on your description, you'll continue to remain resident in the UK too.

Knock yourself out, but I think you're going to find this unpleasant reading (important health warning: ignore any posts from Boo in this thread):

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...curity-51.html

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
        Have you got a LIMOSA?

Have you actually been paid yet? (Full amount into your business account by your agent ?)
        Not yet - I will be paid next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Jigga View Post
          Not yet - I will be paid next month.
          I should also add - that the contract only runs until 30/04/2018.

Comment

My questions to you are:
            Do I pay for UK and/or Belgian taxes?
            Am I supposed to register as 'working here'?

What should I be aware of and not aware of?
            Both. But with DTA you won't be taxed twice, but you will end up paying the higher rate which is most likely Belgium. So normal tax to UK, the (much higher) difference to BE.

Yes, under EU law you are required to register as after three months you are no longer classed as a visitor under FoM.

Super high Belgian tax and social security.

And finally two things, never accept a contract in Belgium and ignore all post by Boo on this subject.

Comment

I should also add - that the contract only runs until 30/04/2018.

What's your expenses (roughly) a month and do you pay it yourself or client pays them directly ?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

And finally two things, never accept a contract in Belgium and ignore all post by Boo on this subject.
                Boo's banned. Has been for months.

As for Belgium.... I've never seen a rate high enough to even remotely consider it.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Boo's banned. Has been for months.
                  Yes, but there’s an archive of dangerous tripe from Boo, including about the so-called (and widely misunderstood) “183 day rule” that invariably isn’t. Needs to be called out, as it’s likely to trip new posters.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                    What's your expenses (roughly) a month and do you pay it yourself or client pays them directly ?
                    1k a month living. Based that I have been here 3 weeks.
                    Would you advise I pull out of the contract? I have been here 3 weeks now.

I have a UK Limited company. I am paid through my agency - Who cater to the client I represent.
                    I pay rent in the UK and will be paying rent here until 30th April 2018.

I was advised that it would all be handles via the UK - but now I realise it wont be.

Comment

Working...
                    X