• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

temp to perm fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

temp to perm fees

Hi everyone,

I am expecting an offer for a permanent position in the company I am currently contracting.
    I just had a go at my current contract with the agency (for my temp contract) and it says the below:

The Supplier shall and shall procure that the Representative shall
    (a) not during the Contract Term or thereafter for a period equivalent to
    the period of this agreement or, where there has been more than one
    engagement between the Supplier and Agency within the last two
    years, for the total period of all engagements within the last two years
    with the relevant Hirer or End User (but not being less than 6 months
    nor more than 12 months) either directly or indirectly (whether under
    a contract of services or for services or through any third party)
    provide any services to the Hirer or End User in any capacity except
    by contract through the Agency unless the Supplier shall first have
    paid to the Agency a fee of 20% of the total remuneration including
    the value of benefits attributed by the HM Revenue & Customs
    agreed to be paid or provided by the Hirer or End User for the relevant
    period of provision of such services (but not exceeding 12 months)
    plus VAT

Supplier is my limited company
    Representative is me
    End user is the company I am working for

Is this clause enforceable? I have read that there are protection for a temp-to-fees to be paid by the hirer (https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...t-agency-rules) but can not find anything related to the supplier.

I would really appreciate your advice,
    Tarcil

Not if you accept a permanent position.

The client has to fork out fees to the agency to pay for you being taken on permanently.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A permanent position isn't taking any business from the agency, so the handcuff clause doesn't apply. It only applies to contract positions. There may be some clause in the contract between the agency and the client though, but nothing you have to worry about.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

@SueEllen @BlasterBates Many thanks for your reply.

However, this clause does say that this also apply in the case of a contract of services, which is the definition of a permanent job (in opposition to a contract for services): "either directly or indirectly (whether under

Comment

Originally posted by tarcil View Post

However, this clause does say that this also apply in the case of a contract of services, which is the definition of a permanent job (in opposition to a contract for services): "either directly or indirectly (whether under
          Nope.

Agents cannot charge permanent job seekers fees. They can charge the employer though.

Comment

Originally posted by tarcil View Post

It does not say permanent position, and in any case that wouldn't be legal if it did.

What they mean is you can't work through any other third party agency directly or or indirectly through an agency that goes through another agency.

The handcuff clause is to protect the legitimate business of the client. You are not competing against the agency if you work permanently for the client, because that is not a contract position for which the agency can potentially provide a service.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

And there endeth the thread

Comment

And if you're still worried, extract any funds from YourCo and close it down.

Comment

Working...
                X