• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My day rate from the last project will flex according to how much profit I want out of the the next project as agents are to dumb to understand different gigs have different costs to deliver (travel time, hotel costs etc). If you want to charge more no good telling the agent you were happy with x last month....
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Sounds like you've been hoodwinked by an agent.
      This.

A classic agency trick.

Comment

Typical exchange for me has often gone like:

Agent: What's your day rate?
        Me: Depends on the project and what's involved - have they got a range in mind?

IMHO there is no point pricing the next job based on the previous one - you might have valid reasons to have a higher or lower rate on your current job e.g. I would accept a lower rate if it was 15mins away from my house, or if working for a not for profit client co which I wanted to "support".

Comment

Or when asked what your last rate was, increase it to the amount you want to be on, and then say you want a bit more than that - use that as your negotiating position.

As others have said though, it has no real baring on your application going forward

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            Or when asked what your last rate was, increase it to the amount you want to be on, and then say you want a bit more than that - use that as your negotiating position.

As others have said though, it has no real baring on your application going forward
            I never give the last rate - I laugh at the agent and tell them that they know better than to ask for a figure. If they keep pushing, I describe the rate as "competitive" or "market rate".

Two can play that game
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Nope.
              And they ain't your employers - if you don't understand that then go back to being permie.
              Thanks, by Employer I meant Client.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                Sounds like you've been hoodwinked by an agent.
                Actually no, I've been asked this in an interview (which I applied for directly) having already advertised what they would be paying.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post
                  Typical exchange for me has often gone like:

Agent: What's your day rate?
                  Me: Depends on the project and what's involved - have they got a range in mind?

IMHO there is no point pricing the next job based on the previous one - you might have valid reasons to have a higher or lower rate on your current job e.g. I would accept a lower rate if it was 15mins away from my house, or if working for a not for profit client co which I wanted to "support".
                  Thank you, this has been helpful and has validated my thoughts. Just being asked about previous rate made me think twice whether it had a bearing on what they'd be willing to pay.

Comment

The figure I give them is what I want my next rate to be. Helps to know the advertised rate though first.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                      The figure I give them is what I want my next rate to be. Helps to know the advertised rate though first.
                      Thanks. So I assume then there is no way they can validate what your previous day rate was, and therefore unable to question why you want X% more?

Comment

Working...
                      X