• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maternity pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just been advised from my accountant that there is nothing I can claim for SPP - does that sound right? I'm waiting to hear back about SMP.

Thanks - PP
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
      I've just been advised from my accountant that there is nothing I can claim for SPP - does that sound right? I'm waiting to hear back about SMP.

Thanks - PP
      No it is not right. You are entitled to two weeks SPP. Details are here on directgov :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...en/DG_10018750

Comment

Originally posted by slackbloke View Post
        No it is not right. You are entitled to two weeks SPP. Details are here on directgov :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...en/DG_10018750
        Just so that I can uderstand what that link means... the employer pays for the paternity leave.. and in the case of the contractor, it would be either their Ltd company or the Umbrella Company rather than the client?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Just so that I can uderstand what that link means... the employer pays for the paternity leave.. and in the case of the contractor, it would be either their Ltd company or the Umbrella Company rather than the client?
          Err yeah, if you are a contractor then the client cannot be your employer.

Comment

Originally posted by imleo View Post
            dude69, Lewis,

In your case, did your spouse was the company secretary before claiming maternity allowance ? If so, did she mention it on the maternity allowance form MA1 ?

My spouse was in full time employment with a IT company before joing my ltd company as company secretary. And she is qualifying for SMP. However, since it takes a year to claim SMP compensation from HMRC, IMO it'd be best if she does not qualify for SMP and instead apply for Maternity Allowance.

If she resigns from the ltd company before the 15th week prior the baby is due, IMO, she will qualify for MA1. Is that correct ?

I'm looking for a way, so that she could continue being the company secretary and not qualify for SMP. So that she could claim MA1.

Please let me know if it id possible ? Thank you.

Regards,
            imleo

Sorry to have only noticed this post 6 months later! But for the interest of others. I agree that it is probably better for the wife to leave the company employment (can still be a company secretary as this is just an office holder post not an employement one) at the right time (before 15th week, as above - not sure what exact week it is now). The main advantage I can see is that SMP coming in the Ltd company from HMRC has then got to come out via dividends so you lose 21% corp tax as least. Whereas Maternity Allowance just goes direct to the wife so no extra tax to pay. Plus there less company admin and you don't need to wait for money.
            Last edited by Lewis; 28 July 2008, 13:09.

Comment

Working...
            X