• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where do I declare dividends for self assessment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I declare dividends for self assessment?

I started doing my self assessment online and got to the end without seeing a section to enter dividends. I didn't even see a section for entering interest received on savings.

Am I missing something? I checked the 'Employed' box, as I don't have my own limited company but working through a managed Limited company (through Safe Solutions and now Giant).

Thanks,
    George
    my photos

Originally posted by monkeygeorge
    I started doing my self assessment online and got to the end without seeing a section to enter dividends. I didn't even see a section for entering interest received on savings.

Am I missing something? I checked the 'Employed' box, as I don't have my own limited company but working through a managed Limited company (through Safe Solutions and now Giant).

Thanks,
    George
    Dividend are declared in boxes 10.13 to 10.15

Alan

Comment

Thanks,
      George
      That might give you a hint as to how HMRC view composite companies (or "managed limited company" as they claim). In other words, they are under heavy scrutiny at the moment regarding their legality since they are in effect an artificial construct with the sole purpose of avoiding tax.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

tax return

That's fair enough, and I welcome the result of any scrutiny or investigation. But in the meantime I need to complete the tax return.

Thanks Alan. 10.12 - 10.14 is for income from savings. I think I need to enter the whole lot in 10.15 (Dividends and other qualifying distributions from UK companies).

I didn't realise I can access random sections of the form from the Form Index, I thought you have to follow the sequence of steps.

George
        my photos

Comment

Thanks Alan. 10.12 - 10.14 is for income from savings. I think I need to enter the whole lot in 10.15 (Dividends and other qualifying distributions from UK companies).

George
          Sorry, the net dividend goes in Box 10.15, tax credits in 10.16 and the total in 10.17

Alan

Comment

tax credits

Thanks again Alan. What are tax credits? Do I have to calculate them or do I get them from my income statement?
            my photos

Comment

tax credits

Thanks again Alan. What are tax credits? Do I have to calculate them or do I get them from my income statement?

And where would I enter Corporation tax paid?
              my photos

Comment

And where would I enter Corporation tax paid?
                You do not enter corporation tax paid on your personal tax return.

The tax credit should be shown on the dividend voucher, but most composite companies I've come across do not even issue one! However the tax credit value is found by dividing the net dividend by 9.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams
                  You do not enter corporation tax paid on your personal tax return.

The tax credit should be shown on the dividend voucher, but most composite companies I've come across do not even issue one! However the tax credit value is found by dividing the net dividend by 9.

Alan
                  If memory serves they changed to online form this year. You input the net dividends in the appropriate box and it automatically does the tax credit itself.

Comment

tax credits

I've just had this from my composite company:

"You do not need to enter anythign other than the net dividend.
                    The corporation tax is accounted for in the company tax return that we take care of."
                    my photos

Comment

Working...
                    X