• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FreeAgent - mileage tally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FreeAgent - mileage tally

Does anyone know if FA have developed the facility to determine the total mileage claimed for the tax year? I've found lots of queries from a few years ago requesting the facility, plus a solution which requires exporting all data to a spreadsheet - that's either old functionality else I don't have the right access privileges.

All I need to know is when to switch over from 45p to 25p and, since it doesn't do it for me, check I haven't overpaid towards the end of the last tax year.

Anyone know what the score is?

FA has the facility to track total mileage in the year and once the 10,000 miles has been exceeded it will drop down to 25p.

It does this per employee, as long as you adding your mileage claims in the 'My Money - Expenses'.

If you start FA mid tax year and you've already claimed some mileage, this needs to be entered in 'Settings - Users'. Then you will need to enter the mileage already completed in the tax year before the start of this accounting period.

HTH
    We're all ears!

Comment

What Louisa said...so unless we've misunderstood your question, it does do it (provided data entered in the correct way), nothing to worry about.

Comment

Thanks guys. I can see that by adding 8000 miles in, it works out how many are at 45p and how many at 25p. Since it didn't do this before April, and assuming the correct figures were input beforehand then I should be good.

I'm obviously a Luddite who is used to a 'total' column on a spreadsheet...

Thanks again

Comment

Hmmm.
          I enter in FA appropriately for using both a Car and a Motorbike. i.e 45p & 25p
          I also track my expenses in a spreadsheet in order to keep track of the vat receipts etc.

I noticed on my sheet I had gone over 10k in total using both vehicles yet I am pretty sure my totals in my sheet exactly matched the calcs in FA at the time.

So because some of the mileage was already at 25P maybe technically I had not used up what I could claim at 45p?
          So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
            Hmmm.
            I also track my expenses in a spreadsheet in order to keep track of the vat receipts etc.
            Why don't you track expenses in FA? With the app it's a doddle to photo the receipts.

Comment

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
              Hmmm.

I noticed on my sheet I had gone over 10k in total using both vehicles yet I am pretty sure my totals in my sheet exactly matched the calcs in FA at the time.

So because some of the mileage was already at 25P maybe technically I had not used up what I could claim at 45p?
              Probably not many situations where an individual does >10k miles but split between different vehicles, so I can't find anything cast iron. However, this page to my mind suggests you can have 10,000 car miles at 45p, regardless of what other journeys you've done. Motorbike miles are 24p/mile regardless of whether it's 1 mile or a million miles.

So I'd suggest you can completely disregard miles done on the bike when considering the 10,000 threshold, it only applies to those done in a car.

NB one other thought for possible reason for discrepancy, is the dates. The 10,000 miles is based on a tax year. Just thinking if hypothetically you were counting the miles based on company accounting year, that could account for you thinking you've breached the 10k differently to FreeAgent.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                I'm obviously a Luddite who is used to a 'total' column on a spreadsheet...
                I can tell you how to make it work in a spreadsheet column, too, if that makes you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
                  Why don't you track expenses in FA? With the app it's a doddle to photo the receipts.
                  Have you tried exporting receipts out of FA yet?
                  Age wise I am the wrong side of the slide-rule so like to keep my own personal records just incase this new fangled internet thingy has a bad hair day

@ Maslins thanks for that explanation.
                  So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

In the FA web portal.

Accounting->Reports->Detailed->Show Transactions (select account = 249 Mileage and the accounting period you're after).

Report shown + export capability.

Comment

Working...
                    X