• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transferring Defined Benefit pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    I'm not looking for advice on the transfer itself, just what people think about the fund that the IFA recommended.
    Ah, OK, sorry. I apologise. I doubt anyone here will have ever heard of it TBH. I looked it up and first impression to me is that it is a pretty vanilla international equity fund with 5% in bonds/cash and 10% in property. Not able to say much more than that really. Good luck, it wouldn't be my choice but ho hum. The hordes will be along shortly to advise a tracker. But that wouldn't be my choice either.
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 7 July 2017, 10:12.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Ah, OK, sorry. I apologise. I doubt anyone here will have ever heard of it TBH. I looked it up and first impression to me is that it is a pretty vanilla international equity fund with 5% in bonds/cash and 10% in property. Not able to say much more than that really. Good luck, it wouldn't be my choice but ho hum. The hordes will be along shortly to advise a tracker. But that wouldn't be my choice either.
      Out of interest, what would you recommend?

The transfer is already on motion, so I'm happy for it to go in there for the time being I'll keep an eye on it and learn a bit more about investments and maybe move it again if I feel it's worth it.

Comment

Out of interest, what would you recommend?

The transfer is already on motion, so I'm happy for it to go in there for the time being I'll keep an eye on it and learn a bit more about investments and maybe move it again if I feel it's worth it.
        Sounds like a decent plan. I avoided the other question really, my circumstances are very different to yours. So I hesitate. DYOR is my serious suggestion to you. One way or another, I've been doing this stuff for myself since the mid 1970's and I'm still learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Sounds like a decent plan. I avoided the other question really, my circumstances are very different to yours. So I hesitate. DYOR is my serious suggestion to you. One way or another, I've been doing this stuff for myself since the mid 1970's and I'm still learning.
          Fair enough. That's basically what I plan on doing, make it my responsibility and learn as I go along. I'll be more active in it one I've learned.

I've also got a SIPP with HL, not a lot in there at the moment, just putting a regular £100 a month in, but I plan to increase this and throw the odd lump sum in when I have it available and when the time is right (wish I has some spare cash after the brexit vote!).

Comment

Out of interest is there an enhancement being paid to the tramsfer value? This is quite common now.

Superficially transfer out of a db scheme is generally a bad idea but enhancement and personal cicumstances can make a huge difference.

It is wotgwhile getting annuity illustrations. Even though this might be inappropriate it gives a comparison base.

Comment

What do you mean by enhancement?

The value (38x the payout) combined with a long time to retirement make this worthwhile for me.

There were annuity comparisons in the report I got from the IFA.

Comment

The value (38x the payout) combined with a long time to retirement make this worthwhile for me.

Agreed. That is close to no brainer territory.

Comment

For example the db scheme where i work offers an additional x% over the actuarial calculated value to encourage transfers to the dc scheme.

Comment

I did it ...........

I had a DB pension as an insurance policy that paid nothing if i died, paid for nothing but an annuity (bad value) & the annuity paid nothing after I died after retirement. The original co went bust & was asset stripped , the pension went into the Gov protection scheme so we lost 10% anyway, the deal was just bad bad bad.

I transferred it to a PP with FA advice after explaining why i wanted it out of an insurance policy. It went into CIS or what ever they are called now, the FA took the commission from CIS for selling the pension & charged me £0, i left it there a discrete year (& it grew ok too) then transferred it to SIPP as it was now a PP & not a DB & they did nto need FA to do that.

It grew massively in the SIPP. then i took 25% of my total SIPP & paid 'Her' off for the house. I now have another parallel SIPP that earns tax rebates & I recycle those rebates back in too & that fund I can take its 25% when i actually retire in not so many years now.

Every case is different but go talk to a local independent FA say what you want & offer the deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X