• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

flat rate vat scheme question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kristen330 View Post
    the accountant has said it would cost an additional £100+vat for the year. i.e. 750+vat as oposed to 650+vat if he didn't register me for vat.
    £100+VAT to register for VAT...I'm in the wrong game, oh wait !

I'd make sure there wasn't some other cost associated with the actual VAT returns, if they are going to charge you £100 for registering they sure as hell are not going to prepare and submit the VAT returns for free.

Comment

@Kristen330 you can learn to do VAT yourself there are lots of guides from accountants online.

If you only have one client it is very easy.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Or get a better accountant....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael at BI Accountancy View Post
          £100+VAT to register for VAT...I'm in the wrong game, oh wait !

I'd make sure there wasn't some other cost associated with the actual VAT returns, if they are going to charge you £100 for registering they sure as hell are not going to prepare and submit the VAT returns for free.
          Sorry I wasn't clear. It's £120 for vat reg + vat returns, and vat de-reg when winding down the company. I think that's pretty reasonable. As I posted earlier though, I don't think I will bother registering for VAT as my daily rate isn't high enough for it to make much difference on a monthly basis. If I'm ever in the fortunate position of earning £300/day+, then i'll use my 1% bonus to use on that contract!

Think i'm going to try to get a perm job after this, or go back to uni. Contracting and temping is too unstable a lifestyle! At least I can say I've tried it though!

Comment

Working...
          X