• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crunch Accounting, removing a B Class Shareholder & address change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Louisa@AardvarkAccounting View Post
    Yes, you do need to be more careful if you are not married. As there could potentially be stamp duty and CGT implications.

As for the address change, that's much easier. It can be done online with CH. Advise HMRC, clients/agencies and any other suppliers know too.
    Stamp duty shouldn't be an issue if the shares are gifted back.

CGT does need to be considered though - the shares may have been worthless when first gifted to partner, particularly if they were allocated on incorporation and may have little value now but OP should probably get a valuation of the shares just to show they have done due diligence. Its very unlikely any gain would be outside the CGT allowance but you need to at least show HMRC if they enquire that you've calculated this. Any gain should be based on market value not sale value.

As far as paperwork I'm pretty sure all I did when I transferred shares was record some company minutes noting that the shares had been transferred, filled out a share transfer form and filed it away with the minutes, updated the company share register and printed off updated share certificates. Companies House do not need to be notified until your next confirmation statement.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Stamp duty shouldn't be an issue if the shares are gifted back.

CGT does need to be considered though - the shares may have been worthless when first gifted to partner, particularly if they were allocated on incorporation and may have little value now but OP should probably get a valuation of the shares just to show they have done due diligence. Its very unlikely any gain would be outside the CGT allowance but you need to at least show HMRC if they enquire that you've calculated this. Any gain should be based on market value not sale value.

As far as paperwork I'm pretty sure all I did when I transferred shares was record some company minutes noting that the shares had been transferred, filled out a share transfer form and filed it away with the minutes, updated the company share register and printed off updated share certificates. Companies House do not need to be notified until your next confirmation statement.
      Appreciate the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        On the contrary. One of the last posts I can remember was that a customer had discovered a significant issue with their accounts. It turned out to be a bug in the portal software. Now, I'm not saying it would be impossible to also happen to a FA user, but given the weight of users of the software now, you'd have to be very unfortunate indeed to the very first person to discover a bug like that. (IMO, of course).
        You can see the list of the 67 current problems that FA are working on here.

Some that have been marked as "In Progress" have been around for a while, eg this one has been there for 7 years now
        Last edited by RonBW; 17 February 2017, 16:51.
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
          You can see the list of the 67 current problems that FA are working on here.

Some that have been marked as "In Progress" have been around for a while, eg this one has been there for 7 years now
          Are you sure FreeAgent are still updating this list? As you say, some of them are pretty old.

AFAIK, the only *official* list of work in progress is here: https://www.freeagent.com/depot/

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Are you sure FreeAgent are still updating this list? As you say, some of them are pretty old.

AFAIK, the only *official* list of work in progress is here: https://www.freeagent.com/depot/
            There are employee updates from 4 months ago about some of the problems, so someone is looking at them (or was in the last quarter of last year).

I presumed that the forum called "problems currently being worked on" was still active rather than being archived or locked, but I have no idea if they are still updating that list or not. That said, I can't see how to order the posts in any way to see what is recent and what isn't.
            First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Working...
            X