• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheapest Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    PI - always stuck with QDOS.
    PL comes bundled with EL normally (even if you don't need it) and I've found Direct Line to be the cheapest - under £100 and that includes cover for office equipment too.

Edit: this is the exact policy, I doubt you'll find cheaper:

Direct Line Business from Home:
    Employers liability: £10mil
    All risks cover, specified items: 1 mobile phone (up to £500), 1 laptop, 1 iPad
    £50k loss of income (business interruption)
    £1000 business contents (at home only)
    Public liability: £2mil

Premium: £83/year.
    Most home contents insurers will cover you for £5-10K for business contents as standard if you do computer work at home.

So you really want it for the PI, EL and business interruption.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Most home contents insurers will cover you for £5-10K for business contents as standard if you do computer work at home.

So you really want it for the PI, EL and business interruption.
      They do, but normally only for equipment used/kept at home, generally not portable equipment which all of my specified items are.

You should also check that your insurer is happy to cover equipment owned by YourCo if you're going to rely on this, some will, some won't.

The only annoying thing with Direct Line is that mobile phone cover is limited to £500 which seems silly as loads of new smart phones cost more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        PI - always stuck with QDOS.
        PL comes bundled with EL normally (even if you don't need it) and I've found Direct Line to be the cheapest - under £100 and that includes cover for office equipment too.

Edit: this is the exact policy, I doubt you'll find cheaper:

Direct Line Business from Home:
        Employers liability: £10mil
        All risks cover, specified items: 1 mobile phone (up to £500), 1 laptop, 1 iPad
        £50k loss of income (business interruption)
        £1000 business contents (at home only)
        Public liability: £2mil

Premium: £83/year.
        That is cheap but I assume that only applies if you're working full time from home, as an on site contractor (Who maybe works from home 1 or 2 days a week) it wouldn't apply?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          That is cheap but I assume that only applies if you're working full time from home, as an on site contractor (Who maybe works from home 1 or 2 days a week) it wouldn't apply?
          I don't think so. Why wouldn't it apply?

If you work more on-site then you may have less need for home office cover however my cover does include specified items all risks cover which covers your stuff when you're on-site.

https://www.directlineforbusiness.co...ness-insurance

Comment

Working...
          X