• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euro Bank Account (Cater Allen absolutely shocking)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Why is a company credit card in so much debt that it's got into 0% deals?
    If you can borrow money at 0%, why wouldn't you do that? Of course, it needs to be managed carefully, as this thread shows.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've switched personal accounts lots of times, no problems.

This is still a nightmare. Your right, I'm going to open a new account with RBS then I'll see if the agent takes TransferWise. As metro bank is 100 miles away and they want me to visit a branch to open the account. Cashplus is £15 per euro transaction however because there is no Euro Account it gets converted at their bank rate.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Comment

10 direct debits coming from your company bank account? I have 1.

Why do you have so many?

Comment

Xmas Spirit: But Kind To All Men: Humbug

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          If you can borrow money at 0%, why wouldn't you do that?
          If you could borrow money at 0% then it would be a good deal.

But of course it is never 0%. They always charge you money under some subterfuge (eg 'transfer fee') and you always take on the risk of something happening. It happened to me once and it happened to Crockie big time by the looks of it.

No - people are only ever on 0% deals because they've run up bills they can't pay. I can't see how that should normally happen to contractor with liquidity sloshing about all over the place in our profession.

I'll wager Crockie has been overspending on fast cars, fast women, Caribbean all-in holidays, buy-to-lets, drugs and prosecco.

I.e. typical contractor
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

But of course it is never 0%. They always charge you money under some subterfuge (eg 'transfer fee') and you always take on the risk of something happening. It happened to me once and it happened to Crockie big time by the looks of it.
            Most charge for a balance transfer. Most 0% on spending cards do not charge anything extra.

No - people are only ever on 0% deals because they've run up bills they can't pay.
            Rubbish.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Crocket View Post
              I need to get away from Cater Allen ASAP, can you guys recommend a EURO account (approx. 10k eur month) where it's reasonable to transfer money into Sterling?
              HSBC tend to be best for non-Sterling business banking. They charge £4 or thereabouts to receive an Euro payment, but on the other hand also allows you to make SEPA payments for £6 whereas other banks charge the full foreign payment fee of £17-£25.

Comment

No - people are only ever on 0% deals because they've run up bills they can't pay. I can't see how that should normally happen to contractor with liquidity sloshing about all over the place in our profession.

I'll wager Crockie has been overspending on fast cars, fast women, Caribbean all-in holidays, buy-to-lets, drugs and prosecco.

I.e. typical contractor
                0% credit card deals are a good idea if you want a short term loan under £5,000 as they are often the cheapest way to get it.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Besides the point about number of DDs, it could be commercial mortgages, life insurance, pensions as I've advised... plus IPSE then business insurance etc

If someone was a landlord and switched to Cater Allen with like 50 multiple properties and mortgages (because each would be a DD) - good luck!

CurrencyFair can accept payments on behalf of my Ltd (with a business account) then I can convert with them into a standard sterling bank account.

So I think I'm sorted and I don't have to deal with euro account or cater allen anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    I'm with Cater Allen and for what I need it for it's "ok" given that it's free, but it definitely has the feel of being about 20 years behind its time (lots of thick headed paper correspondence, poor online banking relative to other banks, slow payments, no smartphone app). Not surprised they messed up an automatic switch

Sounds like you've had a nightmare, not enough to put me off using them, but maybe enough for me to not recommend them to anyone looking to switch!
                    I think this is the one that will push me away. They really are shocking. 4 days to transfer fee's is rediculous these days.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Rubbish.
                      Oh Faqqie, who's suffering from self delusion? If she only loves you when you keep giving her yellow diamonds. it's not real. It won't last.

But that Barclaycard debt will
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X