• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

20% SALES TAX received but NOT requested

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Really not worth messing with the VAT man, i missed my payment deadline by one day last quarter (slipped my mind), only a day late and the first time this has happened in 5 years of contracting....

... a few days letter a stern letter from the VAT mob lands on my doorstep telling me I've been a naughty boy and if It happens again within the next 12 months I'll be hit with a 2% penalty (which will go up on each transgression), I made sure to pay this quarter as soon as my accountant calculated the amount due!
    direct debit is your friend!

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      direct debit is your friend!
      Yeah I don't trust them enough to give them access

Comment

Really not worth messing with the VAT man, i missed my payment deadline by one day last quarter (slipped my mind), only a day late and the first time this has happened in 5 years of contracting....

... a few days letter a stern letter from the VAT mob lands on my doorstep telling me I've been a naughty boy and if It happens again within the next 12 months I'll be hit with a 2% penalty (which will go up on each transgression), I made sure to pay this quarter as soon as my accountant calculated the amount due!
        2% of that bill or 2% of the VAT within that tax period?

This is one reason I moved accountants. They sent a tax invoice to my wife's email address. Not mine. Wifey checks her email if and when she does an online shop... Could have been a very expensive mistake for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post

This is one reason I moved accountants. They sent a tax invoice to my wife's email address. Not mine. Wifey checks her email if and when she does an online shop... Could have been a very expensive mistake for me.
          My goodness, you don't know your VAT liability or when it's due? I do all my own accounts to trial balance. I only have an accountant to do an annual sanity check, calculate CT and do the HMRC/CoHo returns. I would never hand over so much control to an accountant (no offense intended to accountants, btw)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            My goodness, you don't know your VAT liability or when it's due? I do all my own accounts to trial balance. I only have an accountant to do an annual sanity check, calculate CT and do the HMRC/CoHo returns. I would never hand over so much control to an accountant (no offense intended to accountants, btw)
            Mr Upton says none taken.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post

It would be 2% on top of whats owed that quarter. Not my accountants fault, who is very good. My bad for not doing it on time.

Comment

Case closed.

Hi, ok thanks for the advice, will contact the agency and advise them. CASE CLOSED.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. My VAT is due 1/1 next year and i just had a flying thought that i would pay on the 3rd or 5th.oooops! Guess i better pay pronto before i get same letter!

Comment

Originally posted by TNA57 View Post
                    Thanks for sharing this. My VAT is due 1/1 next year and i just had a flying thought that i would pay on the 3rd or 5th.oooops! Guess i better pay pronto before i get same letter!
                    Assuming you pay debit card over the phone you should be ok until the 4th. 3rd if direct transfer. 10th is you set up a direct debit in time (then cancel it if so incline). There is a calculator for various payment methods on gov.uk.

Comment

Working...
                    X