• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC can now view your internet history

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
    That's not my point.
    My point is that these big companies can't even hold basic details without corrupting them somehow.
    My wife's firstname has been mangled with EE.
    My name now also has my firstname first letter twice at the beginning of my name.
    What's to stop them incorrectly assigning me as the previous owner of an IP address by mistake. Lack of basic controls and change management somewhere.
    Your name is probably typed in by a human. IPs are assigned by a computer in response to a login so it's pretty trivial to log that. If they don't, or haven't up to now, or if Nigel the trainee accidentally deleted the logs last week doesn't mean that they can't.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

They can now also lie in court about how they got the information.

Section 56 of the act as passed sets out a number of matters that are now prohibited from being brought up in court. The exact wording of section 56(1) is as follows:

Exclusion of matters from legal proceedings etc.
      (1) No evidence may be adduced, question asked, assertion or disclosure made or other thing done in, for the purposes of or in connection with any legal proceedings or Inquiries Act proceedings which (in any manner)—

(a) discloses, in circumstances from which its origin in interception-related conduct may be inferred—

(i) any content of an intercepted communication, or

(ii) any secondary data obtained from a communication, or

(b) tends to suggest that any interception-related conduct has or may have occurred or may be going to occur.

This is subject to Schedule 3 (exceptions).
      This creates an obligation on the prosecution to actively lie about how evidence was obtained should it have involved any form of interception. Simply refusing to provide details isn't good enough since that could infer that interception had been used, which you can't now do.

And you as the accused have to go along with this since it is illegal under the act to question the evidence given where that questioning may infer or confirm that interception took place.

And in case you were wondering just who is now allowed to exercise the powers of the act, here is the definitive list. Including Food Hygiene Inspectors.

Investigatory Powers Act 2016
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Your name is probably typed in by a human. IPs are assigned by a computer in response to a login so it's pretty trivial to log that. If they don't, or haven't up to now, or if Nigel the trainee accidentally deleted the logs last week doesn't mean that they can't.
        That's possible, but the broadband was signed up for online, like most things. Nobody should have been typing anything.
        System upgrade issue maybe. In which case, the same result could happen to whatever system stores the IP to address records.
        Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

I'd only worry if I'd done something that had warranted me being on a watch list.

Comment

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs is a non-ministerial department of the UK Government responsible for the collection of taxes, the payment of some forms of state support, and the administration of other regulatory regimes including the national minimum wage.

HMRC Will authorise by the uk Goverment to Receive some data of Taxpayers' personal data, including records of web sites they have ... to intercept and read peoples' private emails, or listen to their phone calls if they found some fraud with him

Comment

Originally posted by djf View Post
              Not a problem ... just use the TOR browser instead.
              TAILS on a USB stick is even better
              https://tails.boum.org/
              Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
              http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
              X