• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No idea where to start....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scsrowe View Post
    Yes, paid to travel from the company offices in London to Newcastle - ironically to work within HMRC! He had to stay in a hotel there, and they gave him an allowance to use for food. He also used data on his phone to be able to work on the train.

Because they have taxed him on this, he's effectively paid tax twice! How do we reclaim the tax he's paid on the expenses?
    Short answer: you can't.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Short answer: you can't.
      Home to office expenses are not allowable.

Travel in the course of work, e.g. from one office to another, are, but will have to be reclaimed via SA.

Comment

Yes, paid to travel from the company offices in London to Newcastle - ironically to work within HMRC! He had to stay in a hotel there, and they gave him an allowance to use for food. He also used data on his phone to be able to work on the train.
        One question is did he ever work in London? It sounds like he was hired by a company in London to work in Newcastle, in which case Newcastle would be his permanent place of work and expenses aren't allowed. If he worked normally in London and took the occasional trip to Newcastle then they would be.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

He would start his week on Monday morning at the Management Consultancy office in London, then travel together with colleagues to Newcastle, stay there in a hotel until Friday morning and then work Friday morning at HMRC before travelling back to London office on a Friday afternoon.

Effectively he has been double taxed - He has had to pay his travel and hotel accomodation at the request of the consultancy company and then reclaim them back through Liberty Bishop. He has used his own money which he earned from another job and was taxed on when he was paid it - and now he's been taxed again on the same money just for carrying out work related duties!

My husband claims similar expenses through his job (consultancy company but employed rather than contracted) and has never been taxed on them. I've claimed back expenses in my own job and never been taxed on them. So why would he through an Umbrella company?

Completely unfair! Why would anyone want to work as a contractor under an umbrella company?!

Comment

He would start his week on Monday morning at the Management Consultancy office in London, then travel together with colleagues to Newcastle, stay there in a hotel until Friday morning and then work Friday morning at HMRC before travelling back to London office on a Friday afternoon.

Effectively he has been double taxed - He has had to pay his travel and hotel accomodation at the request of the consultancy company and then reclaim them back through Liberty Bishop. He has used his own money which he earned from another job and was taxed on when he was paid it - and now he's been taxed again on the same money just for carrying out work related duties!

My husband claims similar expenses through his job (consultancy company but employed rather than contracted) and has never been taxed on them. I've claimed back expenses in my own job and never been taxed on them. So why would he through an Umbrella company?

Completely unfair! Why would anyone want to work as a contractor under an umbrella company?!
            You really haven't been paying attention, have you. The umbrella aspect is completely irrelevant. The rules regarding travel expenses apply universally, which is why our rates will be adjusted upwards to meet the true cost of being in business.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You really haven't been paying attention, have you. The umbrella aspect is completely irrelevant. The rules regarding travel expenses apply universally, which is why our rates will be adjusted upwards to meet the true cost of being in business.
              Uncalled for. This is a new poster with 3 posts trying to work out why her son doesn't have the money she thought he should have.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Uncalled for. This is a new poster with 3 posts trying to work out why her son doesn't have the money she thought he should have.

Plus one.

Comment

Uncalled for, how? I don't make the rules, and people need to learn the facts of life no matter how unpalatable they may be.

Comment

Uncalled for, how? I don't make the rules, and people need to learn the facts of life no matter how unpalatable they may be.
                    You assumed prior knowledge in the post. For a new poster that was neither valid or fair.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You assumed prior knowledge in the post. For a new poster that was neither valid or fair.
                      OK, I may have been a bit harsh, but far too many people are entering a world they think they know but don't. Complaining afterwards is of no use. The rules apply equally, irrespective of lack of prior knowledge of them.

Comment

Working...
                      X