• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Woes Around Opt-Out and Payment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dingdong View Post
    Most implementations of Docusign and Echosign will immediately send you an email as a record after you have electronically agreed to a contract using their service.
    Yes I received those immediately however I only received a contract with the "Contractor has opted-out" field printed as "Yes". There's nothing else in the document vault.

Comment

Basically, what they all said. The opt out may be (quite probably is) invalid but that is not all the story. Whatever is in your contract around terms of payment is also significant. If you're in IPSE call the legal and/or tax helplines, if not go talk to a lawyer. If the payment terms are conditional on your opt out then you have a challenge.

Oddly enough we were just discussing this kind of thing in another context. If you're up for a fight - and I mean a real fight through the legal system - to stick one on our agency bedfellows, to settle for once and all what the opt out means and how it affects cases such as yours and how it is probably being abused by every agency out there, then I know someone with deep pockets who would help out. If so, drop me a PM.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by trundrumbalind View Post
        Oh I definitely don't think it was a mistake in that regard! I just think they would have meant to withhold that month's payment when they learned of the administration but maybe some inter-office drop in communication allowed the payment to go through anyway. A mistake for them that is.
        Or maybe they sent you half judging you were then unlikely to chase the rest.

I thought an opt-out had to be a separate form. Sending you an opted-out contract doesn't count as you had no ability to opt.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Oh I definitely don't think it was a mistake in that regard! I just think they would have meant to withhold that month's payment when they learned of the administration but maybe some inter-office drop in communication allowed the payment to go through anyway. A mistake for them that is.
          Okay, but the point still stands that they've paid you what you're legally entitled to; there is no error and there are no grounds for them to recover it.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Oddly enough we were just discussing this kind of thing in another context. If you're up for a fight - and I mean a real fight through the legal system - to stick one on our agency bedfellows, to settle for once and all what the opt out means and how it affects cases such as yours and how it is probably being abused by every agency out there, then I know someone with deep pockets who would help out. If so, drop me a PM.
            Is this a campaign promise of yours?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Is this a campaign promise of yours?
              Sorry? No idea what you're on about...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Sorry? No idea what you're on about...
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks so much for all your help. The email situation is that I'm not waiting for their US-based account manager to get back to me. I'm feeling confident about not being pressured to repay the first amount they made to me. Not too sure about the payment not due until next month though. I'm sure I'm in the right about a lot of this, I just don't want legal hassle or for things to get nasty and for me to start receiving demands for cash back!

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks so much for all your help. The email situation is that I'm not waiting for their US-based account manager to get back to me. I'm feeling confident about not being pressured to repay the first amount they made to me. Not too sure about the payment not due until next month though. I'm sure I'm in the right about a lot of this, I just don't want legal hassle or for things to get nasty and for me to start receiving demands for cash back!
                    Like I said, if it all goes tits up, and I hope it doesn't, then shout.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

If you're in IPSE call the legal and/or tax helplines, if not go talk to a lawyer and then click on the big IPSE banner at the top of the page or here and join up!
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X