• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Loan to a friend from LTD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, if there's nothing dodgy, suspicious or illegal, then take the money out of your personal account and lend it to your mother in law. Then there's no issue with your company. Avoid all the grief by making it a personal loan, not a company loan.

Or, to put it another way, why are you wanting to loan the money from your company?
    If something is allowed, I want to do it.
    Why not going any other way is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      from the same page:

[The above is deliberately kept simple to get the message across, so please don't nitpick about dates of repayment or reductions for payments within 9 months]
      However it is not clear to me if the loan is repaid on time does the above change?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        EDIT: MrMarkyMark makes a good point, a loan from company to a relative of a director or shareholder can be treated as a loan to participator anyway so the s455 issue will be applicable regardless of whether you arrange the loan directly between YourCo and MIL or via you personally. This should mitigate the issue of suspicion of tax avoidance because s455 exists to stop this from ever being an issue.
        That is a logical thinking, yes. I know the rules for dir loan, my question was are they the same for relatives. It seems they are.

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
          Thanks for your concerns guys. I consider this move to be very low risk.
          As you know there is a risk involved in going to the toilet as well. But we all go.

My question was merely about the legality of it.
          As always very little help.
          Seems obvious you are just waiting for the answer you want.

Like I said don't do it but if you do expect close scrutiny from HMRC because even from this distance, there is a definite piscine odour......

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            even from this distance, there is a definite piscine odour......
            you wish.

Comment

If something is allowed, I want to do it.
              Why not going any other way is irrelevant.
              It's totally relevant.

Many things are "allowed" but that does not make them a good idea.

What has your accountant told you?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                It's totally relevant.

Many things are "allowed" but that does not make them a good idea.

What has your accountant told you?

That is it OK. I want to be 100% sure.
                Your point exactly: one acct might say it is OK, other might say it is NOT OK (based on the notion it is a stupid thing to do and MIGHT cause problems in future). Hence the need for second opinion.
                However I want to know what the law says, and make a decision.

Comment

you wish.
                  Ok, a definite Surströmming odour then.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Ok, a definite Surströmming odour then.....
                    Ich spreche kain Deutch.

Comment

from the same page:

However it is not clear to me if the loan is repaid on time does the above change?
                      Why on earth would it? It seems crystal clear to me.

In fact the author wrote that to prevent any further idiotic questions, such as yours, on that thread
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X