• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

non-trading company accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non-trading company accounts

I have a Ltd company which hasn't traded at all in the past & present accounting period.
    I want to keep the company open, and avoid paying an accountant.
    PAYE is fine - as I have been filing monthly nil payment RTI EPS returns.

Does anyone know what is the best way to deal with HMRC (for Corp Tax) and for the annual Companies House accounts - without needing to engage an accountant?

Thanks in advance.

Dormant Company

For HMRC, write to them to advise that the company is dormant and will continue as such for the foreseeable.

As for Co House, you'll still be required to file but you can file dormant accounts. There will also be a requirement to file the ACS each year for which they'll charge you the £13 filing fee.

I'd also recommend closing the PAYE references. If you require a PAYE scheme set up later on, it can easily be set up again, just reduces the risk that you miss an RTI filing by accident.

Comment

dormant accounts

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
      For HMRC, write to them to advise that the company is dormant and will continue as such for the foreseeable.

As for Co House, you'll still be required to file but you can file dormant accounts. There will also be a requirement to file the ACS each year for which they'll charge you the £13 filing fee.

I'd also recommend closing the PAYE references. If you require a PAYE scheme set up later on, it can easily be set up again, just reduces the risk that you miss an RTI filing by accident.
      Darren, thanks for the info.

re HMRC CT - my corporation tax return (which should be a nil payment) is normally due at the end of Oct - will I still have to complete the CT form(s) if I inform HMRC now of the company's non-trading/ dormant status?

re Companies House - I have no accountancy background: how straightforward is it to file their dormancy Webfiling?? report? (Annual ACS return is fine as I do this myself each year).

Many thanks.

Comment

Dormant Company

You'll probably find that the ACS is more tricky than the dormant accounts.

If you inform HMRC straight away that the company has and always has been dormant therefore no requirement to file a CT return. Would suggest a follow up call in a couple of weeks to confirm receipt just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Darren at DynamoAccounts View Post
          You'll probably find that the ACS is more tricky than the dormant accounts.

If you inform HMRC straight away that the company has and always has been dormant therefore no requirement to file a CT return. Would suggest a follow up call in a couple of weeks to confirm receipt just to be on the safe side.
          Darren,

Thanks very much for your help. I will follow through with HMRC and Companies House.

Andrea

Comment

Working...
          X