• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accommodation whilst working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    There are plenty of example rental agreements if you search online. Amend one as appropriate and get the landlord to sign it, if hey dont already have one themselves. If you make it clear that you are only renting Mon-Fri then you shouldn't get caught out by HMRC only allowing claims for 5/7ths of the rate on the basis that it is available for personal use on weekends.
    Am I looking for a rental agreement here or receipts?

I've been to see a few places and when I mention either, the home owner or the person renting the room seems to go a bit cool. I guess they can get someone else in without them needing to make people aware of what they are doing.

If I did take a rental, could I then claim the travel between the rental accommodation and the place of work?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
      Am I looking for a rental agreement here or receipts?

I've been to see a few places and when I mention either, the home owner or the person renting the room seems to go a bit cool. I guess they can get someone else in without them needing to make people aware of what they are doing.

If I did take a rental, could I then claim the travel between the rental accommodation and the place of work?
      If the person goes cool they are probably sub-letting without the agreement of their landlord.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        If the person goes cool they are probably sub-letting without the agreement of their landlord.
        Or, they wish to keep it cash in hand / off the books, which I believe is quite common in the room rental game.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          More and more are parked on the M6 on a Friday.
          FTFY

I'd love an hour commute each day instead of staying away. I guess it's personal circumstances though.

If you don't mind putting a lot of miles on your car, driving is a great way to get a lot of money out of your company in a very tax effective way; it's straight off the top line rather than having to subject it to corporation tax and dividend tax and doesn't impact on your takehome pay.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Or, they wish to keep it cash in hand / off the books, which I believe is quite common in the room rental game.
            You get a tax free allowance of £7500 a year anyway.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X