• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Change to contract payment terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change to contract payment terms

I am halfway through a contract. I have just received a notification from the agency, seeking to impose a change to one of the contract terms, namely the one regarding payment of invoices. They say that due to a change imposed on them by the client, they will no longer pay any invoice received more than fourteen days after the month-end.

Although in most cases it should be easily possible to submit an invoice within the fourteen days, there are situations (holidays, sickness, etc.) where this may not be possible. I believe the agency's right to refuse to pay invoices unless received within this limit is unfair.

I wonder if the agency can insist on a mid-contract change such as this? What could happen if I refuse to agree to this change? Is it lawful for a party to refuse to pay an invoice because it is received after a particular date?

Originally posted by teejaydee
    I am halfway through a contract. I have just received a notification from the agency, seeking to impose a change to one of the contract terms, namely the one regarding payment of invoices. They say that due to a change imposed on them by the client, they will no longer pay any invoice received more than fourteen days after the month-end.

Although in most cases it should be easily possible to submit an invoice within the fourteen days, there are situations (holidays, sickness, etc.) where this may not be possible. I believe the agency's right to refuse to pay invoices unless received within this limit is unfair.

I wonder if the agency can insist on a mid-contract change such as this? What could happen if I refuse to agree to this change? Is it lawful for a party to refuse to pay an invoice because it is received after a particular date?
    It will be set out in the contract. If not make sure your invoce nicludes words to the effect of "payment due within x days in accordance with our T&Cs" if you are your own Ltd company.

Comment

Tell them where to go. They can't impose a change on you unless you agree bto it. On that basis they could simply turn round and say that they now want to pay you £10 per day - you wouldn't be obliged to take that either.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Even if it was possible for the agency to change a contract mid term, I doubt that this change would be allowed.

There is a six year statutory limit on the collection of a debt. Whilst it is reasonable for a company to place some restrictions on stale invoices I can't see a judge accepting 14 days as reasonable, even in a B2B contract.

Which means, of course, that the change the client have imposed upon the agency is equally invalid. Any reasonable sized corporate would know this so I do wonder what type of numpty you have for an end client (unless the agency have made up the reason).

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
          Even if it was possible for the agency to change a contract mid term, I doubt that this change would be allowed.

There is a six year statutory limit on the collection of a debt. Whilst it is reasonable for a company to place some restrictions on stale invoices I can't see a judge accepting 14 days as reasonable, even in a B2B contract.

Which means, of course, that the change the client have imposed upon the agency is equally invalid. Any reasonable sized corporate would know this so I do wonder what type of numpty you have for an end client (unless the agency have made up the reason).

tim
          I would have thought it is the agent (unsurprisingly) being the numpty if they have agreed to these newly imposed payment terms and now trying to impose them on their contractors to waive the risk that they have taken.. It seems to me the client can only win here, and whoever is silly enough to agree with these terms may lose out.

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest
            I would have thought it is the agent (unsurprisingly) being the numpty if they have agreed to these newly imposed payment terms and now trying to impose them on their contractors to waive the risk that they have taken.. It seems to me the client can only win here, and whoever is silly enough to agree with these terms may lose out.
            I agree that the agent is being a numpty by accepting these terms.

But I still think that the client is a numpty for asking. Even if the agent says yes, he will still have the right to go to court to get the clause voided. IMHO he will win and the client should realise this. Asking for a contract change that can ultimately be enforced is a waste of everybody's time.

tim

Comment

It'd be interesting to see whether the client tries to delay signing timesheets (manager on holiday etc). The agency cannot change any clauses without your agreement, and certainly can't refuse to pay an invoice submitted more than 14 days after the period in question. I think you need to reply politely saying "The Directors of xxx Ltd have considered your request to change the payment terms of the contract dated xxxxx, however on this occasion we have decided this would not be in the commercial interests of xxx Ltd to agree to such changes. We therefore consider the original contract of xxxxx to remain in force for the duration."

And see what they do about that.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

At the end of the day your contract is with the agency. Who cares how long it takes for them to collect their money. Just because the payment terms on their contract has changed, why should you accept a change in yours. Also given the short timescale (14 days) you could lead yourself open to the agent pretending that they have not recieved your invoice and witholding payment.

As i said earlier, tell them where to go - Unless they are prepared to make it worth your while!!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Thank you all for the useful advice. I think the problem stems from the fact that the agency wishes to remain on the client's approved supplier list. In order to do this they were apparently told by the client they would have to submit their invoice within fourteen days, or else the client would not pay it. They are now seeking to pass this time limit on to all the contractors on site (it's not just me!).

Obviously this suits the agency - they just invoice the client based on the invoices received from contractors on or before the cut-off date. They are trying to remove the risk of having to pay late-received invoices from contractors without being able to invoice the client for these, by changing the contract wording.

Comment

Name & shame (client and agency). You might even be able to threaten them with the DTI.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X