• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Funding plan B

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funding plan B

Well, contracting may slowly be losing the charm, and so I am considering creating 1 or more alternative businesses.

I am considering using some of the funds held within my company for this purpose.

I always assumed I could set up a new ltd, transfer the funds as a loan and crack on - but after a bit of a google that doesn't seem to be ok with HMRC... but keeping it all within one company is fine it would seem.

I have a few plans, but all require investment to get off the ground (in the form of stock and equipment), and I have zero desire to take the funds personally first as it messes everything up, and makes it significantly less worth while considering.

Before I bore my accountant with another stupid idea, I thought I'd bore you lot first to filter out any especially stupid assumption/misunderstanding.

So - simpe question, can I fund plan B via profit in my Ltd, and if so - can anyone give me any pointers?

I've tried searching but due to my choice of search phrases I keep either finding new start up capital info or director loan info - neither of which are what I'm interested in.

Tar

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fu...OKyUgAazmr_QDA
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It probably depends what plan B is, or the nature of it at least.

If it's related to your contracting business, then I don't see the problem in just using the company funds.

If it's something completely different like property investment, then it's probably more complicated.

Comment

You see, that is why you are viewed with such awe when you walk into the office and why your team high fives every time you arrive

Comment

ok, so had a rummage - seems I can speak to the accountant without looking like a complete numpty.

tar all

Comment

Do you want to fund it yourself? If the idea is good enough go to a local Angel Investment club. I'm a member of a local group and we see some brilliant (and some terrible) ideas come through looking for investment from £100k up to £1.5m.

Other options: Crowdcube.com

Or use friends and family to fund for a percentage in the company. That's how I did my first angel investment which is turning out very well.

Comment

Well, I feel pretty fortunate to earn what I earn doing contracting, so as a matter of principle I don't use public funds that could help those who haven't got the resources I am fortunate enough to have.

So I'll leave the other funding pots for people who need them.

Tar for the steer though, I'll bear it in mind in case I end up in a pickle in future

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
                Well, I feel pretty fortunate to earn what I earn doing contracting, so as a matter of principle I don't use public funds that could help those who haven't got the resources I am fortunate enough to have.

So I'll leave the other funding pots for people who need them.

Tar for the steer though, I'll bear it in mind in case I end up in a pickle in future
                Angel investment clubs are not people looking to do a good deed. These are very wealthy people looking to invest in somebody else's company and make lots of money.

Comment

Working...
                X