• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting a "Proper" Business - accountant advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a "Proper" Business - accountant advice needed

There are a number of people on this forum that have left the contracting model to start a "proper" business - one that produces a product and hires employees. I'm about to do the same - and i'm looking for advice on accountants. My business partner and I have started company that has two goals a) to create a software product b) to provide consultancy services. My existing accountant Nixon Williams is unable to offer accountancy services for this new business - hence I'm looking for alternatives.

Are there any accountants out there that you would recommend? I live in Hertfordshire - not that I ever met my last two accountants
    "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
    Arnold Schwarzenegger

In what way are NW unable to offer accountancy services?

It's still a Ltd. company.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Its outside their usual thing - 1 man limited companies. They must get economies of scale from dealing with the same type of client. Its a shame because I have been very happy with the service, but its probably shifting outside their expertise level. E.g. there are tax breaks open to certain companies doing R and D, which an accountant used to dealing with software firms would be aware of but possibly not if you just deal with one man bands...
      "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
      Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

I use KPMG Small Business Accounting. Their payroll services are new and aren't perfect, but the rest of their service is excellent, and they use Xero too which is a bonus as it's an excellent system.

I've got a number of full time permie employees working for me, and KPMG SBA cost is pretty reasonable considering the service.

Comment

Whilst I work mainly in the contractors team at Hillier Hopkins, we deal with a variety of businesses and individuals (including some consultants who built medium sized businesses). Happy to have a chat or coffee if it helps? We're in Herts and London coincidentally.

Comment

Working...
          X