• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inland Revenue have just told me i owe them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nixon Williams
    All directors must complete a tax return each year, even if nothing is owed. You should be declaring your investment income, even if it is producing a loss.

Alan
    Wife is company secretary and director of my Limited. For the 2003/4 and 2004/5 years she submitted self assessments. After the 2004/5 return she received a letter saying she was NOT required to submit a self assessment for the following year (ie 2005/6) - even though she was and is a director and it quite clearly showed on her 2004/5 form that she was a director.

Comment

If you earn sod all consistently the IR can tell you not to bother sending one in. However if they don't tell you to not bother sending one in you must or you are elligible for a fine as stated above.

Comment

I have seen letters from the Revenue to clients of ours stating that they are not required to complete a tax return any more, however it also states that if you are a dircetor you are required to complete one!

Check the letter, do not rely on the people at the Revenue knowing what they are doing!!

Alan

Comment

Working...
        X