• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calculation of Tax with Dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    My accountants have suggested taking out a larger dividend for yr 2015/16 than the £32k, and a lower one in yr 2016/17 as a way of reducing the overall tax liability over those 2 financial years, as a result of the new dividend tax.
    Bit late for that now, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnieboy View Post
      Take the dividend now, then buy a Delorean to take to Twin Pines Mall at 1:21 am?

Comment

Good spot - corrected below;

My accountants had suggested taking out a larger dividend for yr 2015/16 than the £32k, and a lower one in yr 2016/17 as a way of reducing the overall tax liability over those 2 financial years, as a result of the new dividend tax.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
          take the dividend now, then buy a delorean to take to twin pines mall at 1:21 am?
          "great scott"

Comment

I imagine quite a few contractors are still playing with the optimal level of their dividends for the previous tax year if their company tax year hasn't yet closed and they haven't yet filed their self-assessment return for 2015/16 (particularly if they have only just realised the horror of the new tax rates this year!).

Comment

Well I hope they aren't clients of mine then!

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post
                I imagine quite a few contractors are still playing with the optimal level of their dividends for the previous tax year if their company tax year hasn't yet closed and they haven't yet filed their self-assessment return for 2015/16 (particularly if they have only just realised the horror of the new tax rates this year!).
                Neither of the two other contractors on my site had heard of the new divvy tax.

The particularly clueless one had even just done a 'yearly review' with his BigCo contractor accountant and either hadn't listened or it wasn't explained to him.

My guess is that for quite a few the realisation (read: mini tax bombshell that hasn't been saved for) isn't going to hit home until January 2018, that being the SAR deadline for the current tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                  Neither of the two other contractors on my site had heard of the new divvy tax.

The particularly clueless one had even just done a 'yearly review' with his BigCo contractor accountant and either hadn't listened or it wasn't explained to him.

My guess is that for quite a few the realisation (read: mini tax bombshell that hasn't been saved for) isn't going to hit home until January 2018, that being the SAR deadline for the current tax year.
                  Haven't listened.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X